Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Japanese character cannot input correctly to TextCtrl on Windows 8 #3233

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 14, 2013 · 9 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nishimotz on 2013-05-14 13:36
Japanese characters cannot input correctly to TextCtrl, such as 'Add Dictionary Entry' dialog of speech dictionary on Windows 8.

• Open NVDA menu, Preferences, Speech Dictionary, Default Dictionary. Press Add button.
  • Move focus to the edit boxes such as Pattern or Replacement of 'Add Dictionary Entry'.
  • Enable Japanese input system such as Microsoft IME.
  • Type 'a' and press Enter to finish input method session.
  • Expected result is phonetic character 'a' (U+3042). Actual result is 'B' which is irrelevant.
  • Other Japanese (multi-byte) characters cannot type correctly as well.
  • Input method settings seem to have no relation with this.

Tested with installed version of 2013.1rc2 and Windows 8 64bit (Japanese language).

Blocked by #2909

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-05-14 22:59
I assume you're talking about NVDA dialogs only? This sounds like a duplicate of #2909. Can you confirm this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nishimotz on 2013-05-15 02:41
I confirmed that Find dialog (Ctrl+NVDA+F at the Internet Explorer) cannot type Japanese characters as well.

After having this issue, "Exit NVDA" (NVDA+Q) frequently fails terminating the process of nvda.exe and nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-05-15 03:36
Does the work around I mentioned in #2909 work for you? (It's not a fix, but I'm curious as to whether this is exactly the same issue.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by nishimotz on 2013-05-15 04:30
Yes. Confirmed as follows:

• Add English layout to Windows 8 (Japanese 64bit).
  • Start NVDA, activate Firefox, press Ctrl+NVDA+F.
  • Press Shift+Alt twice. i.e. switch to English layout then back to Japanese layout.
  • Enable Microsoft Japanese IME by pressing half-shape/full-shape key (or possiblely Alt+tilde with US-keyboard array)
  • Type 'a' and Enter. Japanese phonetic character 'a' (U+3042) appears correctly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2013-05-15 04:36
Closing as a duplicate of #2909.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-05-29 03:02
Replying to nishimotz:

After having this issue, "Exit NVDA" (NVDA+Q) frequently fails terminating the process of nvda.exe and nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe.

Can you confirm if this happened in 2012.3? and if so, I assume then it did not happen in 2012.2?
I cannot reproduce it myself on Windows 8 64 bit Japanese input method. However, I'm also unsure as to how to make Japanese the default layout in Windows 8. I can switch to Japanese and then start NVDA and its in Japanese, but is there something more specific I should be doing?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by nishimotz on 2013-05-29 12:31
Tested on Windows 8 Pro 64bit with English display language.

Language preferences:

• primary language: English (United States). Windows display language: Enabled
  • secondary language: Japanese. Input method: Microsoft IME (Japanese)

Procedure:

• Launch nvda_snapshot_release-2013.1-9166,4db91e5.exe
  • Check "I agree", Press "Continue running".
  • Open NVDA menu, Preferences, Speech Dictionary, Default Dictionary. Press Add button.
  • Now focus is at Pattern of "Add Dictionary Entry".
  • Current language is English, so press Shift+Alt to enable Microsoft IME Japanese.
  • Press Alt+' (backquote or tilde) to enable phonetic character (hiragana) input.
  • Result is phonetic character 'a' (U+3042). Now works correctly.
  • Press Tab five times to focus on OK button. Press Enter to close "Add Dictionary Entry" dialog.
  • Press Tab four times to focus on OK button. Press Enter to close "Default Dictionary" dialog.
  • Press NVDA+Q to open "Exit NVDA" dialog. Now focus is on Yes button.
  • If I press Enter to Quit NVDA, the processes are still alive. However, If I firstly press Shift+Alt to switch language from Japanese to English then press Enter to Quit NVDA, the processes are cleared.

Tested with NVDA 2012.3.1 and NVDA 2012.2 as well. Phonetic character is not shown correctly with 2012.3.1, however, other results are the same.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2013-05-30 01:42
Mick is unable to reproduce this. Can you please provide the last part of a log with log level set to debug? This should enable us to see a bit more information about where the failure occurs. Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by nishimotz on 2013-05-30 06:29
Thank you so much regarding this.

I am afraid that I was confused by the installed NVDA process and temporary NVDA process, so I should report again.

Tested on Windows 8 Pro 64bit with English display language.

Language preferences:

• primary language: English (United States). Windows display language: Enabled
  • secondary language: Japanese. Input method: Microsoft IME (Japanese)

Procedure:

• Install nvda_snapshot_release-2013.1-9166,4db91e5.exe to the system.
  • Start installed copy of NVDA. eSpeak is used. No NVDA add-on is installed or running.
  • Set logging level to "debug"
  • Now focus is at Pattern of "Add Dictionary Entry".
  • Current language is English, so press Shift+Alt to enable Microsoft IME Japanese.
  • Press Alt+' (backquote or tilde) to enable phonetic character (hiragana) input.
  • Result is phonetic character 'a' (U+3042). Now works correctly.
  • Press Tab five times to focus on OK button. Press Enter to close "Add Dictionary Entry" dialog.
  • Press Tab four times to focus on OK button. Press Enter to close "Default Dictionary" dialog.
  • Press NVDA+Q to open "Exit NVDA" dialog. Now focus is on Yes button.
  • If I press Enter to Quit NVDA, the processes are still alive (no music).

The last part of log is as follows. After "Terminating Java Access Bridge support", typed characters still appear in the log, until I terminate nvda.exe with SysInternals Process Explorer.

INFO - core.main (15:22:33):
Exiting
DEBUG - core.main (15:22:33):
Terminating updateCheck
Terminating watchdog
Terminating global plugin handler
Terminating GUI
INFO - config.save (15:22:33):
Configuration saved
Cleaning up running treeInterceptors
DEBUG - treeInterceptorHandler.killTreeInterceptor (15:22:33):
Killed treeInterceptor: <virtualBuffers.gecko_ia2.Gecko_ia2 object at 0x05829890>
Terminating IAccessible support
Terminating UIA support
Terminating winConsole support
Terminating Java Access Bridge support
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (15:22:40):
Input: kb(laptop):1
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (15:22:40):
Input: kb(laptop):escape
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (15:22:43):
Input: kb(laptop):alt+tab
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (15:22:48):
Input: kb(laptop):d
Input: kb(laptop):i
Input: kb(laptop):r
Input: kb(laptop):enter

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant