Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Research one way to discover captchas based on characters introduced in DOM #3238

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 15, 2013 · 3 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by sergioneves on 2013-05-15 10:09
There is a new way of providing CAPTCHAs, which is based on the
introduction of randomly distributed text nodes on the DOM of web pages, and employment of CSS to arrange these nodes (characters)
on the screen.
One known example of the implementation of this type of CAPTCHAs is on Packt Publishing book seller web site, where the following link leads to a particular example:
http://www.packtpub.com/support/10503
If you analyse the CAPTCHA, you'll see that the order of characters announced by any screen reader (in particular NVDA) using the virtual cursor is not equal to the order of characters that really appears on the screen. I didn'tt analyse it thoroughly, but
I think the order is not coincident due to the CSS applied to text nodes.
This is one case where it's important to access and explore the web page with another ways other than the virtual cursor and probably to use low-level graphics functionality to inspect web page content; otherwise, I don't know any other way to discover the order of characters on these CAPTCHAs.
I think it's a long-term problem that is worth researching.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2013-05-21 07:48
Pardon my ignorance, but presumably then these are actually readable chars which are ordered by cascading style sheets for the visuual image, but not for us. I do wish these people would use special questions rather than these convoluted ways to prove humanity! Could what you propose be done though?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

A captcha solving service as part of NVDA and related topics have been discussed in #5979 and #3305.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Aug 16, 2017 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants