Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Recognizing column headers marked up as TH in a table- improvement needed #3245

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 21, 2013 · 10 comments
Open

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by spanchang02 on 2013-05-21 21:04
It is very good that NVDA reads column header cells that occupy 2 or more rows of a data
table as in
http://mars.dequecloud.com/demo/Table-multi-col.htm
So when one navigates to the right, NVDA correctly announces
US $million + Current + Quarter-1 because these are all TH and contiguous. And of course they happen to be within
the THEAD.

But NVDA needs to be tweaked so that

1. it only reads:
  • the nearest TH-cell above it and
  • any cells above that are contiguous to this cell and are also marked up as TH

Provided only TH-cells without scope=row are interpreted as column headers.

Plus
2. All cells marked up as TH within the THEAD for that column.

That means, when one navigates left into column #1 , say for the gross profit rows under Toys, NVDA
should only announce 'Toys' as the column header ... not 'Handbags and Accessories'.

Thanks,
Sailesh

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-05-22 00:25
Please specify what browser(s) you tested this with.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2013-05-22 06:07
When I read this I wondered if it was another manifestation of the problems experienced in IE on the tickets site with the table markers being mangled.
If the reporter is using IE, then it would be worth using Firefox to see what happens.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by spanchang02 (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-05-26 17:40
Hello,
No this is the experience with Firefox.
Unfortunately, NVDA does not behave well with Internet Explorer, so my suggestion #3244 and 3245 are based on testing with Firefox 20/21
Sailesh

Replying to briang1:

When I read this I wondered if it was another manifestation of the problems experienced in IE on the tickets site with the table markers being mangled.

If the reporter is using IE, then it would be worth using Firefox to see what happens.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-05-28 04:07
For Firefox, NVDA uses the information Firefox exposes via IAccessible2 to determine table headers, so any enhancement to this needs to be done by Mozilla. I'd recommend filing a bug with Mozilla.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Jun 9, 2013

Comment 5 by spanchang02 on 2013-06-09 10:12
FYI:
Mozilla bug submitted June 9, 2013
881048 Submitted – Recognizing column headers marked up as TH in a table- improvement needed) –
NVDA Community#3245

Thanks,
Sailesh

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This issue is still reproducible in Firefox 63.0.3 and NVDA 2018.4 Beta 4. It would really help if Mozilla fix this sometime in the future. Speaking at least for myself, I know how annoying it can be if you have many complex tables every day (i.e. I work every day with income statements and balance sheets in browser). Therefore I prefer to disable reporting of tables and row and column headings rather than hearing multiple not relevant headings reported every time when navigating in a new cell.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

It is not the optimal solution but I learn the headings by hard and then navigate through the table.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 19, 2019

CC @jcsteh and @MarcoZehe
Was not sure if you knew about this issue

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Update with NVDA Version: alpha-20015,56a62097:

In Firefox 75: request 1 works as expected, request 2 does not work. In case 2, NVDA reports still "toys Handbags and Accessories". Expected is only "toys" when you navigate on column 1 in the toys division.

In Edge cromium and Crome 81this table does not work as expected, but this is a general problem in those browsers.
To make this work properly in Firefox, you need to assign a TH id for your headings, and for the divisions, you need to assign them as sub headings. See example 2 on this page:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/tables/multi-level/#table-with-three-headers-related-to-each-data-cell

@jcsteh Is there any update on the bug filled with Mozilla sofar? Or what is your opinion on this?

cc: @aleventhal for Crome and Cromium. Is there a bug filled for Cromium on this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I found following Cromium bug:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=947881

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants