Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

some of the new lapTop layout keys don't work with the arabic keyboard #3246

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 21, 2013 · 15 comments
Open
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by fatma.mehanna on 2013-05-21 21:59
hi,
first of all, sorry for reporting this issue lately, but i'm not a lapTop layout user, and i have just been informed by this problem from the arabic users after they used the release.
the issue is some keys of the new lap top layout don't work when the keyboard layout is arabic.
these keys are:
NVDA+[
NVDA+control+[
NVDA+]
NVDA+control+]
shift+NVDA+.
control+NVDA+.
NVDA+.
shift+,

i tried to check with mesar, and we made a gestures.ini file contains the first four keys as an example, but they don't work.
i will attach this file to this ticket.
can you be of help?
as me and mesar can't see any errors.
thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment gestures.ini added by fatma.mehanna on 2013-05-21 22:01
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-05-23 01:51
Your gestures.ini works correctly for me. Where did you place it? If in locale, did you have your NVDA language set accordingly? Did you have the keyboard layout set to laptop in NVDA Keyboard Settings?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by fatma.mehanna on 2013-05-23 11:25
hi,
i updated the gestures.ini file with some keys, but i found out:
1 when i add the file to my user configuration directory, the keys are working, but when i paste the same file in my locale/ar folder, they don't work.
2 there is a problem with one of the virtual buffer keys.
it is "shift+comma" in english lap top layout.
this shortcut types "," in arabic layout, so we can't use it.
any help will be appreciated.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by fatma.mehanna (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-05-23 11:37
Replying to jteh:

Your gestures.ini works correctly for me. Where did you place it?

sorry jamie,i didn't notice your previous comment. now everything is fine. my language interface was set english. now when i changed it to arabic, the keys are working correctly.
now the problem of comma remains. please look at my previous comment.
thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-05-27 06:35
Replying to fatma.mehanna:

2 there is a problem with one of the virtual buffer keys.

it is "shift+comma" in english lap top layout.

this shortcut types "," in arabic layout, so we can't use it.

What exactly does NVDA report for the key in the log when you press it in input help mode?

You can remap virtual buffer keys the same way you do any other keys. For example:

[virtualBuffers.VirtualBuffer]
moveToStartOfContainer = kb:shift+,

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation labels Nov 10, 2015
@mohdshara
Copy link

"What exactly does NVDA report for the key in the log when you press it in input help mode?" it reports shift + و which is the character mapped to this in the Arabic keyboard layout.
Any thoughts about this old issue?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Thanks for the information @mohdshara.

I'm finding it a little hard to what the status is for this issue. Could we try to summarise it?
My understanding is as follows:

When using NVDA with the NVDA language set to Arabic, and the keyboard layout set to "laptop" I am unable to use the shift+, keyboard shortcut.

Is this still affecting people?
Is it only this keyboard shortcut that is causing a problem now?

@mohdshara
Copy link

excellent, your summary is correct. yes, shift + comma will not work I tried to find others but it looks like this is the only one currently. if our understanding was correct, if we had keys involving [ and ] with shift, those will not work too. Luckily, so far we don't use those keys in browse mode.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Oct 16, 2017

@mohdshara, is this still an issue if you reassign the shift+, keystrokes in the input gestures settings?
As explained in #3246 (comment)

You can remap virtual buffer keys the same way you do any other keys. For example:

[virtualBuffers.VirtualBuffer]
moveToStartOfContainer = kb:shift+,

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Can we have a locale specific gesture map?

@mohdshara
Copy link

@fatma.mehanna can you please answer @ehollig's question?

@Hatoon-fel
Copy link

@ehollig's @mohdshara I tried adding a new gesture for: (move To Start Of Container), it's shift+و when keyboard is arabic, and it's working correctly now. So, I tried adding new gestures for all comands which their gestures don't work when keyboard layout is arabic, most of them are used in laptop layout only, and all of them are working now when keyboard is arabic.
the gestures for this comands when keyboard is english are:
shift+,
NVDA+[
NVDA+control+[
NVDA+]
NVDA+control+]
shift+NVDA+.
control+NVDA+.
NVDA+.
I attached the file that is generated in user config directly when adding gesturs!
gestures.zip

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Hatoon-fel that means this is not an issue anymore? I guess in this case we can close it.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Or @feerrenrut do you have any futher thoughts regaring @derekriemer's suggestion to implement a specific locale gesture map? I don't know if this is indeed required since users can change gestures in input dialog.

@mohdshara
Copy link

hi.

our concern with this is how to ship a gesture.ini file available to our Arabic users with NVDA? This fix should ideally be available to all by default somehow.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants