Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

new speech addon google tts #3251

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 23, 2013 · 3 comments
Closed

new speech addon google tts #3251

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 23, 2013 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by joshknnd1982 on 2013-05-23 12:55
Please reach an agreement with google to put the android jellybean google tts all voices and all languages in an NVDA speech synthesizer addon. This would give people access to high quality natural speech if they could not afford nuance vocalizer expressive voices. thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by camlorn on 2013-05-27 01:16
These voices are only available on the Android unless I am very much mistaken; no windows version exists. It is possible to gain access to them via an unsanctioned hack as part of the Google translate interface, but this would require downloading a sound every time something is to be said. Ignoring potential legalities, this would lead, in the best case, to a delay before we could start streaming and, in the worst case, a few seconds because your internet connection is too slow for that approach. This, of course, adds the complexity of determining if your internet connection is fast enough in the first place, or limiting such a feature to those with good internet connections; in this latter case, good internet connection must be determined by the user, not NVDA.
I'm not 100% on my facts so am leaving this open, but suspect that this would be a huge undertaking; I looked into doing this for my own projects once, and this is what I came up with. I hope the above information is useful.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Downloading speech synthesis data from Google Translate simply for the sake of using Google text to speech is definitely not something meant for NVDA core. Regardless, this may also not be legal. @jcsteh Could NV Access's contacts at Google be notified about the interest of NVDA users in porting Google TTS to Windows?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 16, 2017

We actually had some discussions with Google about this a few years ago, but despite initial hopes, this turned out to be infeasible for technical reasons. The technology they use to compile the TTS engine for Chrome for Windows is Chrome specific. Closing as can't fix.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants