Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

explorer: labels of edt not brailled when tethered to review #3264

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 5, 2013 · 8 comments
Open

explorer: labels of edt not brailled when tethered to review #3264

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 5, 2013 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by halim on 2013-06-05 12:55
In some cases nvda doesn't display labels of edit fields on the brailledisplay when tethered to review.
EG: windows+r (run dialog)
currently nvda shows:
ef alt+f
should be:
öffnen: ef alt+f

From logviewer:
IAccessible accName: u'\xd6ffnen:'

Maybe IAccessible accname should be displayed as well when braille display is tethered to review?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-06-05 20:08
Because this is an edit combo box, NVDA removes the name from the edit field and only uses the name on the combo box. Otherwise, the label would be reported twice. Unfortunately, when tethered to review, you don't see context, so you don't see the combo box name. I'm not sure how to solve this.

Btw, this is another reason that only showing the focus when tethered to focus (rather than showing the context to the left) is problematic.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by halim on 2013-06-06 06:12
Sorry I can't agree. Showing the whole context at the left side has many disadvantages.

• In most cases a user knows which dlg which window, which app is focused. Writing this in every output doesn't make sense to me.
  • because of different length in braillecontext information a braille user has to move his finger arround every time to find the wanted info. that info starts some times at pos 60 on a 80 cell brailledisplay.
  • Maybe a dedicated braille command to display the context braille stuff would be enough!

Sorry this was a bit OT now!
Back to this ticket :-).
It would be nice if the label could be displayed in those edit fields. Unfortunately I need more time to read and understand the braille code. So I've no idea how to do this at this time..

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-06-06 06:36
Replying to halim:

Sorry I can't agree. Showing the whole context at the left side has many disadvantages.

That may be, but the point is that you do lose combo boxes, for example, which is related to this ticket. You would see the same problem when tethered to focus that you see when tethered to review.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 2, 2017

I know development has been going on in the Braille area, any comments or suggestions for this issue? CC @LeonarddeR

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Aug 2, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR any thoughts on this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@halim is this issue still reproducible?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@dkager could you please test with a braille display the current behavior in NVDA 2019.1.1? I guess with the automatic tetering of the braille display this should not be an issue anymore. But I do not have a braille display at hand to assess this.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented May 4, 2019

This is still reproducible in Windows 10 with NVDA 2019.1.1. However, the point made in #3264 (comment) is still valid. I'm not sure how to resolve this issue and frankly, I would say this has low priority.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants