Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Text on the braille display doesn't update after using Undo in Word #3276

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 10, 2013 · 17 comments · Fixed by #15491
Closed

Text on the braille display doesn't update after using Undo in Word #3276

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 10, 2013 · 17 comments · Fixed by #15491

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by falinn.onda on 2013-06-10 17:16
Hi,

Assuming you do the following:

1. open new word 2010 document.
  2. Type a text. for example "1234"
  3. press undo CTRL+Z once.

Expected behavior: braille displays "123" as the current document content after undo.
Actual behavior: Braille displays "1234"

I am using Focus 40 blue via Bluetooth.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-06-20 01:55
Mick, are there any COM events to detect caret/selection changes in Word or do we have to implement scripts for this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-06-20 04:01
Replying to jteh:

Mick, are there any COM events to detect caret/selection changes in Word or do we have to implement scripts for this?

I'm really not sure off the top of my head. We certainly don't use any MS Word COM events right now. Also, based on experiences with PowerPoint and Protected mode etc, I'm thinking that scripts, as long as they do the trick are quicker to code and have more chance of working in high-security situations such as protected mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by falinn.onda (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-06-21 05:18
Thanks for the quick response, word is such a commonly used editor, people expect you to be able to work with it in most jobs.

I would like to add that undo is not the only case that creates synchronization issues, while braille is thathered to focus. Examples include:

• redo
  • CTRL+backspace : the delete is reported on voice but braille is not updated.
  • CTRL+DELETE: braille is not updated and also there is no voice indication of delete.
  • user macros: I have added a SIFT+DELETE command that delete current line. similarly delete paragraph can be also useful. If i use those macros by pressing keyboard shortcuts, braille is not updated.

For some reason when braille tathered to review it is synchronized a bit differently. In this case CTRL+DELETE updates braille display.

If If you think that that there is a way for word to notify NVDA upon change, in general, i think it might solve many braille synchronization issues.

Either way of fixing synchronization on the above mentioned cases will be welcomed.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Could Braille experts please test and report whether these Braille synchronization issues (particularly with MS Word's Undo and Redo, Ctrl+Backspace and Ctrl+Delete) still occur?

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Aug 16, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Dec 6, 2018

@falinn.onda is this issue still reproducible?
cc: @bramd the initial author seems not to be available on Github anymore. Do you have any possibility to test if this issue is still reproducible?

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Dec 23, 2018

I can still reproduce this with Word 2016, non-UIA. It isn't specific to a particular braille display.

@dkager dkager changed the title Focus braille display and word undo Text on the braille display doesn't update after using Undo in Word Dec 23, 2018
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@dkager how is this now with NVDA 2023.1 RC1 or NVDA 2022.4?

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

I tried locally to add braille.handler.handleUpdate to source\NVDAObjects\iaccessible\winword.py and there to event_caret function.

It worked almost. If there is for example: "12345", and then ctrl-z is pressed 5 times, there is not necessarily blank display. If pressing and holding ctrl-z it seems to work or if pressing ctrl-z with long delay between presses, it seems to work also. But if something between these, it may not work.

@LeonarddeR what do you think about this? Is my approach wrong?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@burmancomp is this with or without UIA enabled in Word?

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

Do you mean this setting: "Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word document controls"? It is currently " Default (Where suitable)".

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

In blank document typing q then ctrl-z. Quite often q remains in braille line. If there are more characters like qwerty, others y, t ... seems to be removed correctly. It seems that event_caret would not be always executed.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Do you mean this setting: "Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word document controls"? It is currently " Default (Where suitable)".

BB

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

It may work better with UIA set to always, and when NVDAObjects\UIA\wordDocument.py also includes event_caret.

I have understood that UIA does not work properly in ms word before Windows 11. I have not Windows 11 installed.

I'm considering if it would be worth of opening draft pull request. I suppose that braille.handler.handleUpdate should be enough in most cases but when document contains only 1 character and then ctrl-z is pressed to undo this does not work always. As if caret event would not be fired every time, but why it is happening (if this is the case), I do not know.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Sep 5, 2023 via email

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

I added event_textChange, event_textInsert and event_textRemove functions to WordDocument class which just write a log line. It seems that any of these events were never fired because there was no log line they should have written.

I should have time to test so let me know what you think I could try.

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

burmancomp commented Sep 5, 2023

It seems that this is larger issue because display is not necessarily updated when using ctrl+x.

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

burmancomp commented Sep 8, 2023

I have also noticed that when in blank document, repeating following steps may cause situation where entered character is not updated to braille display:

• type character
  • press control+z

Log lines are attached. Version is current main branch source.
no_updates.txt

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2024.1 milestone Oct 18, 2023
seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Oct 18, 2023
…pace or control+backspace is pressed and UIA not used in ms word (#15491)

fixes #3276

Summary of the issue:
After paste, cut, redo, undo, backspace or control+backspace braille line was not necessarily updated when using object model.

Description of user facing changes
Braille line and review position should always be updated when using object model ("Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word document controls" is not set to always in NVDA's advanced settings category), and paste (control+v), cut (control+x), redo (control+y) or undo (control+z / alt+backspace) is pressed. Braille should be also updated when using object model and backspace or control+backspace is pressed and held down.

Braille and review position are also updated when using UIA, and braille is tethered to review and review follows caret.

Description of development approach
To get control+v, control+x, control+y, control+z and alt+backspace to work, added helper script script_updateBrailleAndReviewPosition to NVDAObjects.IAccessible\winword.WordDocument, and assigned corresponding keyboard shortcuts to it. Minor modification of event_caret so that braille is always updated when caret event is executed from script_updateBrailleAndReviewPosition. To update braille always when backspace or control+backspace are pressed and held down, overridden _backspaceScriptHelper function.

In addition, to get braille updated when tethered to review and when review follows caret, modified event_textChange in UIA\wordDocument.py.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
7 participants