Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Keystroke to open "Manage Add-ons" dialog #3285

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 16, 2013 · 13 comments
Closed

Keystroke to open "Manage Add-ons" dialog #3285

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 16, 2013 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by td.dinakar on 2013-06-16 06:34
Since one has to frequently go to the Manage add-ons dialog to add, remove, or update add-ons, it is suggested that a keystroke such as nvda+ctrl+a can be assigned to open the Manage Add-ons dialog quickly.

Blocked by #4898

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ondrosik on 2013-06-16 17:44
Can you describe why you need go to the dialog so often? When removing addons, you should remove everithing and restart at the end. When Installing you should press enter on everi addon and restart everitime. I have nothing against new shortcut, just don't understant the idea.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-06-17 05:48
Add-on Manager dialog has to be accessed for adding, removing and updating add-ons. I and many others install the add-on only using this dialog and not directly by pressing the enter key on the add-on in windows explorer. Further, in Tamil interface, we are not able to use the first letter navigation to open the "Tools" menu and then activate "Manage Add-ons" item in it. Therefore, a keystroke will be very helpful.

Replying to ondrosik:

Can you describe why you need go to the dialog so often? When removing addons, you should remove everithing and restart at the end. When Installing you should press enter on everi addon and restart everitime. I have nothing against new shortcut, just don't understant the idea.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-06-20 03:26
Why are you unable to use first letter navigation in the NVDA menu for Tamil?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-06-20 09:40
I don't know. I think it should be due to the English interface I am using in Windows. This problem has been reported by many other Tamil interface users of NVDA. That is why I have removed all the short-cut letter assignments in NVDA menus and dialogues while translating.

Even otherwise, I feel that providing a keystroke to access the Add-on Manager would be very useful, since in my experience, this dialog is accessed more often than the other dialogues such as General Settings, Voice Settings, Object Presentation, etc., which have been assigned separate keystrokes for easy and direct access.

Replying to jteh:

Why are you unable to use first letter navigation in the NVDA menu for Tamil?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh (in reply to comment 4) on 2013-06-20 10:42
Replying to td.dinakar:

I don't know. I think it should be due to the English interface I am using in Windows. This problem has been reported by many other Tamil interface users of NVDA.

Does this apply to other Tamil apps as well or just NVDA? If just NVDA, we should probably look into this.

Even otherwise, I feel that providing a keystroke to access the Add-on Manager would be very useful, since in my experience, this dialog is accessed more often than the other dialogues such as General Settings, Voice Settings, Object Presentation, etc., which have been assigned separate keystrokes for easy and direct access.

I find that rather concerning. Changing settings might be common for some users, but installing and removing add-ons isn't something that is generally done many times a day.

Using keystrokes for these dialogs limits future possibilities for commands that might be used more regularly, so adding new ones needs to be considered with extreme care.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-06-20 14:49
Regarding short-cut assignments in Tamil interface of other apps, I shall find out and let you know.

Regarding assigning a keystroke for Add-on Manager, I still feel that this would be very helpful. However, I leave it to the wisdom of the developers.

Thanks,

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

I don't know. I think it should be due to the English interface I am using in Windows. This problem has been reported by many other Tamil interface users of NVDA.

Does this apply to other Tamil apps as well or just NVDA? If just NVDA, we should probably look into this.

I find that rather concerning. Changing settings might be common for some users, but installing and removing add-ons isn't something that is generally done many times a day.

Using keystrokes for these dialogs limits future possibilities for commands that might be used more regularly, so adding new ones needs to be considered with extreme care.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-06-27 11:29
I checked the Tamil interface in 7-zip, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. Unfortunately, the translators of these applications have not assigned letters for short-cut keys either in menus or dialog boxes. Therefore, NVDA announces the first letter of a menu item as the short-cut key. These keys could not be dependably used because, if the first letter is pressed, the cursor at one time moves to the menu item starting with that letter and at other times it does not.

I would like to highlight another problem in using Tamil keyboard layout. Unlike the English layout, there are several Tamil keyboard layouts in vogue including phonetic keyboard layout. In fact, I have created my own Tamil keyboard layout using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. Therefore, the Tamil characters are not uniformly placed in the layout. In one layout a key can be pressed without the shift key and in another the shift key needs to be pressed. Therefore, letters cannot be assigned for short-cuts in Tamil interface, since these will not work, if the shift key too has to be pressed to type a character.

Thanks,

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-10-07 05:57
Since the new feature of "Input Gestures" has been introduced, I feel that there should be no problem to assign a keystroke for accessing add-ons manager. Further, a keystroke to access the "Input Gestures" dialog such as nvda+ctrl+i can also be provided for easy access.

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 8) on 2013-12-14 06:32
Hi Jamie,

At least a provision can be made in the input gestures dialog for adding keystrokes by those users who require it, if the developers feel that assigning keystrokes for add-ons manager or the input gestures would not be a wise idea.

Thanks,

Replying to td.dinakar:

Since the new feature of "Input Gestures" has been introduced, I feel that there should be no problem to assign a keystroke for accessing add-ons manager. Further, a keystroke to access the "Input Gestures" dialog such as nvda+ctrl+i can also be provided for easy access.

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by MHameed on 2014-08-27 07:56
Hi Jamie,

Whats the current thinking on this, can we not please reconsider adding an unbound gesture for this, so that for those that need the functionality they can bind it locally.

Thanks,
Mesar

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2014-08-27 09:11
I still don't see a strong use case for this. Adding/removing add-ons even requires a restart, so it's not exactly something you can perform quickly. Regardless, there's probably no harm in adding an unbound gesture. We'll take a patch, but I'm not willing to spend time on this myself.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by leonarddr on 2015-01-29 08:34
In repository https://bitbucket.org/leonardder/nvda.git, the input gesture is defined in branch t3285. It is currently bound to nvda+ctrl+a, I think devs have to decide whether the gestures should be bound or unbound. I have nothing against a bound gesture though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2015-02-09 02:16
Rolling this into #4898.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants