Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Tooltips in Firefox and Thunderbird are not read by NVDA #3313

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2013 · 5 comments
Open

Tooltips in Firefox and Thunderbird are not read by NVDA #3313

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2013 · 5 comments
Labels
bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-06-30 09:32
Even though the option to report tooltips is checked in NVDA's options, in "Object presentation", NVDA does not read tooltips in Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Thunderbird.
  2. In the window of the application, find an object that has a tooltip.
  3. Move the mouse pointer to the object in question.
    Expected result: NVDA should read the tooltip witch pops up.
    Actual result: NVDA not only does not read the tooltip, but doesn't even announce that a tooltip has popped up.

Notes:

1. The issue occurs not only for objects in the GUI of the programs in question, but for web elements presented in them as well.
  2. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.7, Mozilla Firefox 22.0 and NVDA snapshot next-9303,7db4c21. But this issue is from a long time ago.
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

This str is almost complete, it would help if we'd know what GUI elements have a tool tip though :)

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

For both firefox and Thunderbird: Example of GUI elements that have tooltips are the buttons in the toolbar(s). There might be other elements in the GUI that have tooltips. Should I look for them?

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 10, 2017
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 10, 2017

P3 because most users don't seem to need the tool tips; I certainly can't recall many questions about this.

Technical: Our support for tool tips is currently very specific: tooltips_class32 with role tooltip, which means we only support standard system tool tips. In theory (but completely untested), we should just be able to map the appropriate Mozilla window class to the ToolTip behaviour. This should probably be done in NVDAObjects.IAccessible.mozilla._IAccessibleRolesToOverlayClasses.

Having said that, @michaelDCurran, any reason we're so restrictive about the tooltip role? Why not just map the tooltip role to the tooltip behaviour for IAccessible?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh does Firefox actually still display tooltips by itself? I thought at least for Windows 10 they are now displayed in the notification center which in turn is being reported by NVDA. Or am I wrong?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Dec 11, 2018

You're conflating tool tips and notifications. Firefox notifications get displayed in the Widows Action Center. However, tool tips (which appear when you hover over something with the mouse) are still displayed as they were before.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants