Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not read tooltips in some applications #3314

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2013 · 13 comments
Open

NVDA does not read tooltips in some applications #3314

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2013 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-06-30 09:42
Even though the option to report tooltips in NVDA's options, in "Object presentation" is checked, NVDA does not read the popped up tooltips in several applications. Example of such applications are: Skype, Cobian Backup, Balabolka, KMPlayer, and others. I think the common between all those programs is that they are written in the Delphi programming language, but I may be wrong.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open one of the above mentioned programs.
  2. Find an object (eg. a button in a toolbar) witch has a tooltip.
  3. Move the mouse pointer over that object.
    Expected result: NVDA should read the tooltip witch pops up for that object.
    Actual result: NVDA not only does not read the tooltip witch pops up, but doesn't announce that a tooltip has appeared on the screen.

Note: I'm using NVDA version next-9303,7db4c21, but this issue is from as long as I can remember with programs like the ones mentioned above. If needs be, I'll tell you the names of the programs as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2013-07-01 03:42
technical:
Skype's tooltip window class is TAppToolbarHint
I'm not sure about the other ones.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-07-01 03:57
Is there some good reason we don't just match the tooltip role?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-07-01 04:28
Replying to jteh:

Is there some good reason we don't just match the tooltip role?

We could, but we also need to let the 'show' event through IAccessibleHandler based on the window class currently. Also don't think that Skype's tooltips have the tooltip role... think they are are client, with one or moe static text children containing the text. So these ones will have to be fudged a bit I think.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-07-01 04:39
Ah. I did think of the IAccessibleHandler thing, but when I looked, I couldn't find the code that filters out show events. I've found it now. :) So yeah, this should be done case by case. Sorry for the noise.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh From your #3314 (comment), I take it that addressing this issue as a whole is not possible and case-by-case patches will be required. In that case, may we close this ticket and request @k_kolev1985 to file individual tickets for each program separately? If not, am I missing something?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 14, 2017

If some or all of these apps do all indeed use a common toolkit, it's possible a single patch might cover multiple apps. We'd need the window class names for tooltips in all affected apps. Unfortunately, this is pretty difficult to get without watching for show events in an event tracing tool like AccEvent or AccProbe.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Aug 14, 2017

CC @k_kolev1985 to please keep #3314 (comment) in mind...

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @k-kolev1985 I guess this is still reproducible with NVDA 2019.1.1 in most of the applications described above. Is this correct?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@Adriani90 Yes, this is still reproducible at least with Cobian Backup, Balabolka. The mentioned Skype example was before version 8, which was a totally different thing - now the tooltips in Skype 8 are read by NVDA. I don't have a recent version of KMPlayer to test it out on it (I don't use it anymore).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think this needs to be fixed by the app developer, like it was fixed in Skype 8. I am adding needs external fix here.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 reopened this May 2, 2020
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Oh wrong button :)

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We didn't get any updates if this is still an issue in Balabolka, KMPlayer or similar application. In Skype, most of the tooltips work, but not all of them. This seems an issue which needs to be discussed with the app developers. They have to expose the tooltips or notifications or allerts correctly via UIA or another accessibility API to make it possible for NVDA to access them.

I think NV Access can decide better if this issue still needs to be tracked here or not.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@Adriani90 The tooltips are still not read in Cobian Backup 11 and the latest version of Balabolka.
As I said in my previous comment here - I don't use KMPlayer anymore and therefore can't say about it.
And as we both said previously - now the tooltips in Skype are read (or at least the ones I came across are anyway).

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants