Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA freezes when a progress dialog from Audacity is present #3316

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2013 · 13 comments
Closed

NVDA freezes when a progress dialog from Audacity is present #3316

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2013 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-07-01 11:19
Since I've started using Audacity, I've noticed that when a progress indication dialog is present from it, nVDA will freeze until the dialog goes away.

Steps to reproduce it.

1. Open Audacity.
  2. Open an audio file in Audacity (the bigger the file - the better). A progress indication dialog appears, witch displays the progress of the open file operation.
  3. Save the file in another (eg. mp3) file, from "File -> Export" command. During the export operation, another progress indication dialog appears.
    Expected result: NVDA should be responsive and be able to read the screen, including those progress indication dialogs.
    Actual result: NVDA freezes and doesn't read anything in any window (application) opened, until the current progress indication dialog disappears.

Notes:

1. NVDA version used: next-9303,7db4c21 (in bulgarian). Audacity version used: 2.0.3 (in bulgarian). Windows version used: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit (in bulgarian and with bulgarian locale settings).
  2. Hardware: Desktop PC; Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @2.80GHz (2.80 GHz); RAM: 4GB (3,25GB usable); Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio (ALC888).

I don't think hardware specs or CPU load are the main factor here, because I've seen another screen reader (JAWS) to read those dialogs and not freeze on a PC with much lower specs.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-07-03 03:33
Freezing like this is generally because the application responded very slowly to queries. Are you saying you see no lag at all with the other screen reader you tried while trying to interact with Audacity (not other applications)? Even if it didn't freeze completely, I'd expect some pretty severe lag from all screen readers if it is affecting NVDA this way.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-07-05 12:49
Hello,

My friend who uses JAWS (v10) and Audacity reported that there is a delay (not a freeze however), but his machine is a very slow one for today's standards (single-core, 1.6GHz processor, 768MB RAM with Windows XP).

On my machine with a Core 2 Duo processor at 2.8GHz, 3.25GB of usable RAM and Windows 7, NVDA can't read those dialogs due to the freeze. I've tested the same with a demo of SuperNova witch I have at present on my system for test purposes, there was no delay at all, as far as I could see. The only problem with SuperNova reading those dialogs was that it was trying to constantly read the changing text in those dialogs (elapsed and remaining time) and was constantly repeating those time values.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-02-05 08:26
I can't reproduce this in either 2013.3 or current next. Sometimes, things get a bit laggy, but i don't get a total freeze. Can you still reproduce this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-02-05 11:08
Yes, I can still reproduce the freeze, even with the latest "next-10304,4e28381" snapshot. After switching to another application, the freeze stops, until I go back to Audacity while it is performing an operation (such as exporting to MP3). But that freeze may be due to my machine - an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, E7400 at 2.80GHz and 3,25GB of usable RAM memory - it may be too slow (?).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-02-07 12:24
It's not so much about the speed of the machine, though that will obviously have some impact. To explain in short what's happening, I suspect Audacity is performing the task in the same thread as the user interface. Audacity updates the progress bar (which notifies NVDA), then immediately continues with the task for a while. While it's performing the task, it can't respond to requests about the UI. Unfortunately, that means it can't respond to NVDA, hence the freeze/sluggishness. On my system, I don't get a comlete freeze--things just get very slow--but ultimately, it's the same issue. If NVDA ignored notifications from the progress bar, it mightn't freeze, but that would be undesirable in most cases.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 10, 2017

It would be interesting to know if this works with the latest version of Audacity. CC @derekriemer Regardless, #3316 (comment) may be a good reason to close this.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

This still can happen, but much less.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Robert-J-H, your thoughts on this are very appreciated.
I think it is rather related to the power of the processor rather than NVDA itself. Audacity needs lot of ressources when complex tasks are being processed.
The same behavior can be seen when running an anti-virus scan with Avast or Malwarebytes.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k_kolev1985 can you still reproduce this in Audacity?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Dec 6, 2018 via email

@Robert-J-H
Copy link
Contributor

Robert-J-H commented Dec 6, 2018 via email

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

I haven't worked with Audacity recently and haven't noticed, but this issue seams to be really solved. So yes, it can be closed.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 7, 2018

Closing as worksforme

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants