Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Problems with Espeak if trying to run an old installer package #3317

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2013 · 4 comments
Closed

Problems with Espeak if trying to run an old installer package #3317

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 1, 2013 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2013-07-01 12:03
Installation of an older copy of the nvda installer over a current one fails with no speech if nvda is selected in the installed snap before loading the earlier installer.
In the case of release versions, where errors are suppressed it changes the synth to silence and gives no clues as to what is going on, but using a last known bad snapshot you get the following log when you boot a working copy back in again.
nvda_snapshot_main-5967.exe
gives the error, while...
nvda_snapshot_main-5973.exe does not and works correctly.

The error is
INFO - synthDrivers.espeak.SynthDriver.init (12:24:03):
Using eSpeak version 1.46.02 06.Jan.12
WARNING - synthDriverHandler.SynthDriver.loadSettings (12:24:03):
No such voice: en
ERROR - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:24:03):
setSynth
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "synthDriverHandler.pyc", line 80, in setSynth
File "synthDriverHandler.pyc", line 453, in loadSettings
File "synthDriverHandler.pyc", line 28, in changeVoice
File "synthDrivers\espeak.pyc", line 153, in _set_voice
File "synthDriverHandler.pyc", line 321, in _get_language
KeyError: u'en'
DEBUG - speechDictHandler.SpeechDict.load (12:24:03):
Loading speech dictionary 'C:\Documents and Settings\brian\Application Data\nvda\speechDicts\silence.dic'...
DEBUG - speechDictHandler.SpeechDict.load (12:24:03):
file 'C:\Documents and Settings\brian\Application Data\nvda\speechDicts\silence.dic' not found.
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:24:03):
Loaded synthDriver silence

Now as this has obviously looked at the .ini file and found something it did not understand, maybe it just assumes its not available. Obviously, one cannot change something written back in time, but maybe people could be warned somehow that its a bad idea to do this!

I also think that the save on exit should not be honoured in the installer itself, as this alters the .ini file and thus screws it up permanently to silence in this case on the last release version 2012.3.1. The snapshots are now fine in this regard. IE attempting to reload 2012.3.1, will end in silence on the installed copy even if you back out of the installer or whatever. Best advice is to use a different synth before you attempt to load an old version, as this usually works.
However even if you do do this, afterwards any attempt to select
espeak will fail of course. One would presumably need to completely uninstall the later version before installing the older one.

I did this test as a couple of people attempted this downdate, and found it silent.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-07-03 04:15
I understand the issue here. However, all of the problems here are only related to old versions and we obviously can't fix them. The best we can do is put a note somewhere in the User Guide advising against downgrading without first uninstalling and starting with a fresh configuration, but it's highly likely that people won't actually read this note.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

CC @Qchristensen and a friendly ping to @jcsteh

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I'm not 100% I understand the original issue or whether it still applies. I run old snapshots to test things all the time, with various synthesizers and haven't noticed a problem, (I don't generally run snapshots older than 2015 though).

In any case, as Jamie's comment noted, we can't go back and change old builds. If anyone can identify if the issue still exists we could perhaps look at what we could fix going forward, otherwise I'd be inclined to close this.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I"m closing this as per the suggestion in #3317 (comment)

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants