Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Firefox: moving by word does not say punctuation immediately proceeding words #3337

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 6, 2013 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by camlorn on 2013-07-06 13:40
When moving by word in edit controls in firefox, i.e. the one for this ticket, NVDA is ignoring punctuation that appears to the left of words, most notably opening parentheses and quotes. The cursor is properly placed before it as it used to be, but the symbol itself is not read as part of the word. Examples include parentheses, quotes, and the like. It does not seem to matter which punctuation is used. I can't find one that works: even ` and | exhibit this behavior.
I am in symbol level most and these are properly read when moving by larger units. In addition, moving by word across the edit control while not in focus mode works properly.
I am on Firefox 22, and NVDA next-9345,72dae8f.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Jul 7, 2013

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-07-07 07:08
This is MozillaBug:872397 and was originally discussed at the bottom of MozillaBug:812187.

jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Sep 28, 2016
When moving the caret forward by word while editing in Mozilla applications, punctuation at the start of a word is no longer ignored. Re #3337.
When reading by line while editing in Mozilla applications, if a list begins on the next line, the list is no longer reported as part of the previous line.
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh, are there any updates on this? I think the Mozilla bug is still open. Right?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Dec 11, 2018

No updates yet. Yes, it's still open.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Note that there are several bugs in this area, i.e. when moving by character, 32 bit unicode characters are considered one character by Firefox, whereas its IA2 implementation makes us believe that they consist of two characters. See also #9034 and #8953

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 24, 2020

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=872397 is now fixed in Firefox 83 (currently Firefox Nightly). Thus, this issue is fixed.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Sep 24, 2020
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 24, 2020

Note that there are several bugs in this area, i.e. when moving by character, 32 bit unicode characters are considered one character by Firefox, whereas its IA2 implementation makes us believe that they consist of two characters. See also #9034 and #8953

I think this should be treated as a separate issue. This is much better anyway now that #8953 is fixed. However, more complicated emoji such as 🤦‍♂️ consisting of multiple Unicode code points are treated as one character when cursoring in Firefox, but NVDA only reports the first Unicode codepoint.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants