Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add the ability to use a Multitouch trackpad with NVDA on Windows 8 and later. #3358

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 11, 2013 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by santiagoblue7 on 2013-07-11 21:24
Hello,
I would like to know if it were possible to add support for multitouch trackpads with NVDA, similar to its touch screen support, or trackpad support on VoiceOver for Mac OS X. This might be limited to Windows 8 and later.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @jcsteh @josephsl: Do you think the touch screen layer could be used for this somehow?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jul 17, 2017 via email

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 17, 2017

@leonardder commented on 18 Jul 2017, 00:54 GMT+12:

Do you think the touch screen layer could be used for this somehow?

1. Hooking the device: I'm pretty certain you can't use the touch screen hooking API to hook touch pads. @michaelDCurran, can you confirm? We'd need some API to communicate with these devices. In Windows 10, Windows did standardise some of this, but I don't know whether we can hook it as @josephsl notes. Still, it's an open question. Synaptics does provide an API to access its touch pads, but we'd have to implement support for several different vendor specific APIs.
  2. NVDA code: You could probably reuse the touch tracker stuff to detect gestures, etc.
  3. User experience: The desired UX for touch is a bit different, since touch pads are so much smaller. The view available to explore by touch needs to be much smaller, probably restricted and relative to the current navigator object's parent.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl any further thoughts on @jcsteh's comment above?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

I'm in favor of closing this at the moment, not because of technical difficulties but we haven't heard from the original poster in the last five years.

Thanks.

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

I find this function extremely interesting.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Nov 29, 2018 via email

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Nov 29, 2018 via email

@michalradacz
Copy link

Hi, I agree, this function is extremelly interesting for me too. I search addons for this, but no result. I have Toshuba laptop with excellent touchpad and supporting gestures is famous enhancement for NVDA.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants