Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not read cyrillic text in a field in a specific application #3365

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 16, 2013 · 1 comment
Closed
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-07-16 07:51
Hello,

Here in Bulgaria, we have a very good application, witch is a two-way bulgarian-english dictionary. Unfortunately however, NVDA does not read cyrillic text in the field (a read-only text field) where the translation appears. I would have thought that this may be due to the text being presented in an inaccessible for NVDA way, but in such a case, all text would be unreadable, and not only the cyrillic one.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Download the application, called "SA Dictionary" from here:
    http://www.saplatform.com/downloads/saplatform.com_12Beta1.zip
    This version is free to use and its interface is in english.
  2. Extract the application in a separate folder and run "Diction.exe" to launch it. The focus lands in a text field, where you type the word you want translated.
  3. Type an english word to translate it to bulgarian, and press Enter.
  4. Then press TAB a few times, until you land in the read-only multi-line edit field.
  5. Switch NVDA's synthesizer to eSpeak and the synthesizer language to bulgarian, in order to be able to read cyrillic text. The bulgarian voice in eSpeak can read english - don't worry (smile).
  6. Start reading the text contained in the text field. You'll notice that NVDA reads only the latin text in the field, but not the cyrillic one. To verify that really there is cyrillic text in the field, press NVDAKey+Control+F2 to use NVDA's display hooking capability to read the currently visible text (including the cyrillic one) in the text field.

Expected result: NVDA should read all text in that edit field.
Actual result: NVDA reads only the latin text in that text field.

I'm running NVDA version next-9384,95c91f3 in bulgarian, but this is happening with all versions of NVDA, as far as I can remember. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit in bulgarian with bulgarian locale settings. The version of SA Dictionary is 2012b1, but the problem is the same at least with the last few versions of the app, witch I had used with NVDA.

Thanks in advance!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-05-20 08:02
The bug is fixed in an alpha (test) version of the app "SA Dictionary", so I'm closing this as "Fixed".
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant