Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Pidgin should be accessible with NVDA #3369

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 17, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

Pidgin should be accessible with NVDA #3369

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 17, 2013 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Animesh.mr on 2013-07-17 15:23
Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MXit, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
for more info go hear
http://www.pidgin.im/download/

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Animesh.mr on 2013-07-17 15:26
Changes:
Changed title from "n v d a should be axes able with Pidgin" to "Pidgin should be axes able with n v d a"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Palacee_hun on 2013-07-17 15:54
If you want this or that software to work (better) with NVDA, then please specify in detail what kind of problems you have with that software using NVDA. In this case I suppose you have tried out Pidgin with NVDA. What parts of the software caused accessibility problems and what were they? Without this information developers will have a hard time figuring out your problems and needs. I note that if Pidgin (or any other problematic software) ignores the existence of accessibility APIs or acts in quite non-standard ways (quite common unfortunately, I must say this is rather on the increase) then the core of NVDA can hardly cope with this; in this case the almost only viable solution is to develop an appmodule or an addon for that software.

Changes:
Changed title from "Pidgin should be axes able with n v d a" to "Pidgin should be accessible with NVDA"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-07-17 17:24
Replying to Palacee_hun:

If you want this or that software to work (better) with NVDA, then please specify in detail what kind of problems you have with that software using NVDA. In this case I suppose you have tried out Pidgin with NVDA. What parts of the software caused accessibility problems and what were they? Without this information developers will have a hard time figuring out your problems and needs. I note that if Pidgin (or any other problematic software) ignores the existence of accessibility APIs or acts in quite non-standard ways (quite common unfortunately, I must say this is rather on the increase) then the core of NVDA can hardly cope with this; in this case the almost only viable solution is to develop an appmodule or an addon for that software.

Also the first port of call is always the writers, who may in fact not realise there is an issue and can thus fix it easily.
As has been said though, ignorance of the accessibility needs of blind users is a disgrace these days.I guess its just not taught to people

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-07-18 02:27
As far as I know, Pidgin uses GTK+, which is (as far as I know) completely inaccessible in Windows. If I'm correct, there's nothing we can do. Either way, it'd be better to enhance the accessibility of Pidgin, rather than implementing screen reader specific work arounds.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh You clearly implied in #3369 (comment) that accessibility should be incorporated into a specific app itself rather than working around in every screen reader separately, which I completely agree with. Does the NeedsExternalFix label suffice in this case or should this ticket be closed too on the same grounds? @ehollig

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

Closing because there's no chance we can even work around this without GTK implementing Windows accessibility, which is not likely to happen any time soon.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants