Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

All tabs read #3374

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 19, 2013 · 3 comments
Closed

All tabs read #3374

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 19, 2013 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by michaelvogt on 2013-07-19 12:57
I have added WAI-ARIA attributes to the tab panel component of our framework. The problem now is, that after selecting a tab, all the available tabs are read by NVDA when using Firefox.

I was already in contact with Mozilla to verify what the problem is, but no obvious reason was found.

The testpage for the component can be found here:
http://michaelvogt.jelastic.servint.net/tabsheet/

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-07-22 06:07
Your tab panel is marked as a live region, so any changes therein are reported accordingly. For some reason, selecting a tab causes show and text inserted events to be fired as if all the content was just inserted into the DOM. I'm not sure why this is (whether it's something your code is doing or whether it's specific to Firefox). Regardless, I'm curious as to why the tab panel is marked as a live region at all. It's not something for which one generally cares about all changes, so I'd argue this is unnecessary/incorrect. The tooltip is already provided via aria-describedby, which can be queried on demand by the user and is reported if the user moves focus to the tab.

Marking as invalid because this isn't an NVDA issue; NVDA is handling the events for the live region as fired by Firefox.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by michaelvogt on 2013-07-22 06:53
Thank you for looking into this problem and your comment.

What would I need to do to find out about such superfluous events arriving at NVDIA myself? Is there some kind of log output from NVDA with this information?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-07-22 23:39
Initially, I thought you were intentionally adding aria-live="polite". However, it seems Firefox may be doing this implicitly. There is a bug to have this behaviour removed: MozillaBug:896400.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant