Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

With keyboard echo enabled, pressing the Plus key on the numeric keypad within Calculator does not speak #3430

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 9, 2013 · 10 comments
Labels
bug p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation.

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dgoldfield on 2013-08-09 19:27
While working in the Windows 7 calculator program, the Plus key on the numeric keypad will not speak, even if keyboard echo is enabled.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open the Calculator program.
  2. Ensure that the speaking of typed characters is enabled via the insert-2 hotkey.
  3. Ensure that numlock is turned on.
  4. Press the plus key on the number pad. The key is silent.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-08-10 06:44
This works correctly in other applications, but not in Calculator for some reason. My guess is that Calculator doesn't send a typed character (WM_CHAR) message for this key, which is odd given that it sends one for all other keys. I haven't confirmed this yet, though.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 10, 2017

This works correctly in Windows 10,1703. Which version of Windows is this referring to? CC @Brian1Gaff, if you are able to test this on Windows 7

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 15, 2018

This is just a friendly reminder for @Brian1Gaff to test and see if this is still the case in the calculator on Windows 7.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@dgoldfield, @Brian1Gaff is this issue still reproducible on Windows 7?

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

Still reproducible on Windows 7 and 8.1

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I don't have a keyboard with numpad at hand, can any one test if this is also occuring on Windows 10 or 11? cc: @lukaszgo1

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

On Windows 10 21H2 (AMD64) build 19044.2728, French localization:
the "+" character is reported when typed, but half the time, it cannot be heard because its announcement is cut off by the following message:
"L’affichage est 0 plus", which means "Display is 0 plus".
Using Speech History, I am able to hear that the "+" character is reported when typed each time even if it is heard only half of the time.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is probably due to NVDA catching the whole UIA event showing what you typed from the beginning. But maybe I am wrong. @josephsl is it possible to tell NVDA to catch only a part of the UIA Event, say only the last typed character?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Mar 30, 2023

Hi,

By default UIA notification event handler will announce the text sent by the app in its entirety. It might be a bit risky to announce only the last part of this text - it could be an operator like plus, a number, parts of the number being entered, and so on. What Cyrille reported is what gets announced with speak typed characters on and with UIA notification event right after. Thankfully, NVDA will not announce numbers twice.

Right now the Calculator being discussed is a different app than the Calculator referred to in the original posting (2013 versus 2023), so speaking of one is speaking of a different issue unless we're experiencing the same thing (Cyrille's report indicates it is somewhat of an improvement but the issue still exists somewhat; resolution may involve telling NVDA to ignore UIA notification event completely but then NVDA would not announce unit conversion results).

Thanks.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

According to #15377 (comment) this is still reproducible in the Win32 based calculator on LTSC versions of Windows 10. I suggest labeling as P5. Also what @CyrilleB79 described above affects the modern UWP calculator, so that probably should be reported as a separate issue.

@seanbudd seanbudd added p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation. labels Sep 6, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation.
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants