Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

new options should be added to the installer #3445

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 16, 2013 · 9 comments
Closed

new options should be added to the installer #3445

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 16, 2013 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Animesh.mr on 2013-08-16 05:55
hi all advance options to installer should be added it will make us possible to make n v d a the way wee want to such wee would be able to remove features that wee don't want to use see the installer of win amp for explanation of this idea thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-08-16 06:53
Please be more specific about exactly what you want to customise. There's currently no non-essential components large enough that it's worth choosing not to install them. There are already some options to customise running on the Windows logon screen, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2013-08-16 08:42
Hi, well the only thing that might be handy is when an update is coming in you have the option to save the installer package. This would mean that those with several machines or a slight tendency to mess up things could reinstall from the latest version without saving it to a portable then making an install from there. The only other option is to redownload it and with some connections being a bit bad in some parts of the world it could be useful not to have to do that.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Animesh.mr on 2013-08-16 14:02
hi all i want espeak variants and rail drivers and some other thinks like unused languages this will enable us to n v d a the way wee want to install it and n v d a will be more compact by removing unnecessary components thanks
Changes:
Changed title from "new option in installer" to "new options should be added to the installer"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2013-08-17 08:34
Well, varients are not very big, most are just text files. However Espeak cannot really be removed as it provides a fall back for people on any install. IE, it makes sure that something will work, even if you have no other synth. In real terms its not that big either of course, so my feeling is that to allow it to be not installed is rather pointless, as the user simply does not use that part and so why worry about adding complexity at a stage when a new user least wants it?

I'm not sure about languages, but I guess it could be made to leave out any languages you did not want, but localisation again is not huge, and it does allow you to make a portable copy with all the facilities and ability of the installed version for a foreign friend. IE the installed version can be generated from the portable one in any localisation at the moment. Again, I don't see the point in adding complexity to save a few bytes when there is plenty of room on most computers these days.

However I could be missing the point, I have to say I find the Winamp installer over verbose in its recent guises, and rather tiresome to remember what its going to keep from my current settings and which its going to screw up, so keep it simple, I am a simple person! I reckon if we went down the winamp route we would never get nvda installed. Not everyone is a computer fan, many use it as a tool.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by nvdakor on 2013-08-18 09:12
Hi,
The other thing to keep in mind is the current update infrastructure - at present, when updates are downloaded, the entire installer package is downloaded.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by Animesh.mr on 2013-08-20 10:08
cool! i like this waiting for implementation

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2013-08-20 10:18
This is not likely to get attention from us at all, as the benefits simply don't justify the amount of work involved. I'm leaving it open in case someone ever wants to tackle it.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

There are hardly any benefits to this proposal, IMHO. Plus, the potential confusion this may cause to newbie users, keeping in mind the fact that NVDA is the most fundamental and vital companion for any blind computer user, also needs to be taken into account. As noted by @Brian1Gaff earlier, saving a few bytes, or at most, a few megabytes, is pretty pointless at the risk of causing extraneous convolution to the process of installing NVDA in a world with massive HDDs and SSDs where NVDA is a relatively lightweight software in its present state itself. With all due respect, I would like to kindly suggest turning down this request and closing this ticket. @LeonarddeR

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Oct 13, 2018

I think @bhavyashah summarized it pretty well in #3445 (comment). Closing, unless someone may disagree.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants