Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When focus and browse mode are in speak rather than sound, you do not always hear the mode spoken on the change #3447

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 17, 2013 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2013-08-17 08:12
When navigating any form which has edit areas, I often find nvda says blank and not focus mode when you are in the edit area. Its intermittent and couldbe due to different lags due to page complexity or whatever. Its been happening for several versions of nvda, but seems more likely just recently, even happening on the search field of startpage.com at times.

I think it may not occur on faster machines as much though. It affects both ie8 and firefox in different ways. IE more complex pages affect firefox more, but IE is generally slower overall. Is there any way that buffering of the text could always ensure the mode change is not removed before its spoken?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2013-08-17 08:40
To add to that. I notice that sometimes focus mode comes after the mode has been changed by however long some text takes to speak. Maybe if focus mode was spoken before the text, which one assumes is there to advise extra details about ehe edit area, was spoken, it might make more sense. Yet sometimes I hear edit as well and sometimes its not actuall in the edit field at that time.
Its all a bit random. Can anyone else see these effects?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2013-08-18 00:03
Hello,

I get this with NVDA as well on my system. Windows 7 64-Bit running IE 10.

Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2014-12-18 10:55
There is another ticket which I cannot find just now on this subject where Jamie explains that if focus mode was the last mode used, the core of nvda will remember it and not stsay focus mode if it was the last mode.

Thus we have the problem where it might be in the edit field and not saying focus mode because of this, or it might not be in the field, but says nothing and when you start to type it picks up the first single key navigation key and jumps there instead.
What I'd really like is a third selection in the browse mode settings to do with the automation of browse and focus mode, which says alway announce current mode at a new page or after a jump or tab or k etc, so we know its actually where it says it is. at the moment I have to cursor out and back to see if its working when going to the next form input field on a page. I have no idea what exactly is going on when its in neither focus nor browse mode and yet the single key navigation still work. its not browser specific though.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@Brian1Gaff Does this still occur at your end?

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Aug 12, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bRendon22, @Brian1Gaff this might also be an issue related to soundcard which might go in standby after two seconds or so. Do you encounter this issue also with other words? let's say when navigating by headings in browse mode or so?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We do not hhave an update from the initial author since two years. @Brian1Gaff if you are still having this issue, please comment on it. Are you seeing this issue also with other words (i.e. quick navigation in browsers)?
For now I am closing this one as works for me because I cannot reproduce it and I didn't hear any other user reports about this specific issue. I guess it is related to the sound card which switches to standby every few seconds. This can be solved by installing the addon audio bluetooth. An issue related to the sound card behavior is already on Github.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants