Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

New braille table in gui (no-no-generic.cbt) #3470

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 25, 2013 · 12 comments
Closed

New braille table in gui (no-no-generic.cbt) #3470

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 25, 2013 · 12 comments
Labels
close/wontfix component/braille enhancement good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by stenevik on 2013-08-25 18:51
I'm unable to select the table "no-no-generic.ctb" from the gui. Can you add it with the label "Norwegian unofficial computer braille table"?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-08-26 01:13
We already have Norwegian 8 dot computer braille mapped to no-no.ctb. Can you explain why there is an additional, unofficial table? This is going to be confusing for users.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by stenevik on 2013-08-26 16:10
No-no.cbt is the official table. No-no-generic.cbt is a Norwegian table with some unofficial character representations to accommodate multilingual usage. Some Norwegian users will prefer the generic table.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by DeamonDavid on 2013-10-28 16:52
The generic table was used before the no-NO table was introduced in the mid 90's, and some of the norwegian braille users still prefere that table.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 17, 2017

@jcsteh, is this already in NVDA? I see 5 types of Norwegian Braille available in the Braille settings.
Norwegian 8 dot computer braille
Norwegian grade 0
Norwegian grade 1
Norwegian grade 2
Norwegian grade 3

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

If I may answer, the answer is no :)

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Aug 20, 2017
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I'm afraid we can't contact the original author of this issue.

@DeamonDavid: Do you still think there is a desire for this table to be in NVDA?

@stenevik
Copy link

stenevik commented Sep 4, 2018

I am the original reproter of this issue. There is still a desire for this table in nvda.
This table is totally different from the official/modern table (no-no-comp8.tbl). The only thing they have in common is a-z, A-Z and a few special characters.
Numbers and characters like +, /, , <>, [], {}, ;, !, ", %, and $ are completely different.
If no-no-generic.tbl is added with the correct description I don't think Norwegian users will pick the wrong tbale.

@zstanecic
Copy link
Contributor

zstanecic commented Sep 4, 2018 via email

@stenevik
Copy link

stenevik commented Sep 5, 2018

Before the official Norwegian 8 dot braille standard came in 2004 we got two alternatives:
The first one was the table which the standard is based on.
The second one was an enhancement of the German table. This tables was mostly used by owners of German braille displays.
Since the official standard was released most users changed to the official table, but some users are still using the "no-no-generic"-version.

An alternative solutin: Could you allow users to choose between all the available table-files from the gui by adding a "Show all braille tables"-option?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @Andre9642

@aaclause
Copy link
Contributor

aaclause commented May 2, 2020

I notice that this table has no mapping for space. Is it really a table usable in standalone?

>>> louis.translate(["louis/tables/no-no-generic.ctb"], "a b")
("a'\\x0020'b", [0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2], [0, 1, 9], 0)

However, in my opinion, we should encourage to use the official braille tables only.

@seanbudd seanbudd added the good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute label Apr 30, 2021
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree with @aaclause in this case. We should rather improve official braille tables if possible instead of adding alot of noise with unofficial tables. If you have problems with the official tables, please also raise issues with Liblouis.

I am closing this as won't fix. If you still have strong arguments in favor of the unofficial braille tables, please comment with some updates of the current situation and we can reopen this issue.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale May 4, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
close/wontfix component/braille enhancement good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

9 participants