Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

nvda does not read the group boxes in audacity #3473

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 27, 2013 · 5 comments
Closed

nvda does not read the group boxes in audacity #3473

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 27, 2013 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by david on 2013-08-27 09:25
This problem occurs when wxWidgets is compiled with the wxUSE_ACCESSIBILITY flag set to 1. This is needed so that the custom controls in audacity can be made accessible.
I discussed this issue with Jamie on devel mailing list, and the problem is that if a group box is present, it is a previous sibling of a control, rather than the previous sibling of the controls parent. Jamie suggested a work around in the audacity appmodule to set the container property.
Attached is a patch in the form of a diff. This has been tested both on the current audacity, and with a version of audacity where in effect the wxUSE_ACCESSIBILITY flag has been set to 0. So if the problems in accessibility code in wxWidgets are fixed at some point, this work around will not prevent the group boxes from being read.
Just a very minor point. Jamie suggested using an overlay class to set the container property. I tried this and the results are similar but not identical. Using the overlay class resulted in a minor bug: If the first control in a group box has a static text label which isn't the same as the accessibility name of the control, then when the control becomes the focus, nvda reads the name of the grouping, followed by the static text, followed by the name of the control.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment audacity.diff added by david on 2013-08-27 09:26
Description:
patch in the form of a diff

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by david on 2013-08-27 10:11
Just to add that I tested the patch by copying the modified audacity.py file to my AppData\Roaming\nvda\appModules folder. This appeared to override the built-in version, so I presume this was a valid test.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-12-01 06:07
It sounds like this has wider implications than just Audacity, so we may want to consider trying to generalise this somehow.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Your #3473 (comment) is slightly unclear to me. Do you consider the issue raised as universal and the patch to be app-specific, or is the submission ready for code review but one hasn't had the chance to do that yet, or something else? I would appreciate a clarification.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

It's theoretically broader than one app (wx apps built with wxUSE_ACCESSIBILITY containing group boxes), but no one else has reported it for other apps and there's an app specific patch, so I don't see any harm in considering this for inclusion as app specific. It can always be generalised later. However, one problem is that we don't have contact with the reporter, so we can't get any issues addressed or testing performed, and this is not something we can prioritise doing ourselves. For now, I'm going to close this, but if someone wants to take this up, we can reopen and accept a PR.

One additional response:

Jamie suggested using an overlay class to set the container property. I tried this and the results are similar but not identical. Using the overlay class resulted in a minor bug: If the first control in a group box has a static text label which isn't the same as the accessibility name of the control, then when the control becomes the focus, nvda reads the name of the grouping, followed by the static text, followed by the name of the control.

This is intentional. The idea is that this static text is generally the descriptive text for the group. If this is incorrect for Audacity, the correct fix is to override the description for groupings, setting it to None.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants