Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Tamil text not read properly in screen review mode #3484

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 31, 2013 · 11 comments
Open

Tamil text not read properly in screen review mode #3484

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 31, 2013 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by td.dinakar on 2013-08-31 14:54
NVDA is not reading properly the Tamil text in screen review mode. It is reading something gibberish. We can understand that it is Tamil, but cannot understand what it says. This is true while reading line-by-line, word-by-word and character-by-character. After switching over to screen review mode, we need to switch over to object mode while the review cursor is on the text to read it.

No problem in reading English text using screen review mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-09-01 22:56
Is this true for flat review in 2013.1.1 or is this new in 2013.2?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-09-02 06:43
This is new. Flat review was working fine for Tamil.

Moreover, I am able to switch only between screen review mode and object review mode. I do not understand the function of document review mode. I tried in dialog boxes, notepad, MS Word, but still could not switch to document review mode.

Replying to jteh:

Is this true for flat review in 2013.1.1 or is this new in 2013.2?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-09-02 07:24
Replying to td.dinakar:

This would seem to suggest that this relates to the new support for RTL languages in display model, though I don't understand why. It'd be good if you could provide some simple Tamil sentences for us to work with.

Moreover, I am able to switch only between screen review mode and object review mode. I do not understand the function of document review mode. I tried in dialog boxes, notepad, MS Word, but still could not switch to document review mode.

Please see the User Guide. It only applies in browse mode and other complex documents such as in Lotus Symphony.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-09-02 11:27
I give below four simple sentences in Tamil:

1. நான் போகிறேன். (I am going.)
  2. அவன் பிடிபட்டான். (He was caught.)
  3. கயிறு நீளமாக உள்ளது. (The rope is long.)
  4. அது ஒரு பாம்பு. (That is a snake.)

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

This would seem to suggest that this relates to the new support for RTL languages in display model, though I don't understand why. It'd be good if you could provide some simple Tamil sentences for us to work with.

Please see the User Guide. It only applies in browse mode and other complex documents such as in Lotus Symphony.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-09-22 14:54
Incorrect reading of Tamil text is witnessed also while using the Virtual Revision add-on with nvda+ctrl+w command.

Replying to td.dinakar:

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 6) on 2013-12-14 06:21
Hi Jamie,

Is there any break-through in the efforts to resolve the issue?

We are finding it extremely difficult to read Tamil text in several places on the screen without the screen review mode.

An early solution is highly appreciable.

Regards,

Replying to td.dinakar:

Incorrect reading of Tamil text is witnessed also while using the Virtual Revision add-on with nvda+ctrl+w command.

Replying to td.dinakar:

Replying to jteh:

Replying to td.dinakar:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-12-15 23:56
Replying to td.dinakar:
For each of the 4 sentences you gave in comment 5, could you please also provide the garbage you currently see in screen review?
You could do this by typing out the examples in Notepad or Wordpad. then switching to screen review. find the text, and copy it to the clipboard with NVDA+f9 when on the first character, and NVDA+f10 when on the last character.
also please say if the garbage is the same for each application, or changes.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 8) on 2013-12-16 14:50
I give below the Tamil text that appears in the screen review mode. I tested in notepad, notepad plus plus and wordpad, and the result is uniform.

1. நா ேபாகிேற . (I am going.)
  2. அவ ப ப டா . (He was caught.)
  3. கய ந ளமாக உ ள . (The rope is long.)
  4. அ ஒ பா . (That is a snake.)

Replying to mdcurran:

Replying to td.dinakar:

For each of the 4 sentences you gave in comment 5, could you please also provide the garbage you currently see in screen review?

You could do this by typing out the examples in Notepad or Wordpad. then switching to screen review. find the text, and copy it to the clipboard with NVDA+f9 when on the first character, and NVDA+f10 when on the last character.

also please say if the garbage is the same for each application, or changes.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

While I have no functional knowledge of Tamil, I am fairly positive that I am able to still successfully reproduce this issue. Is there any further information or testing required to be done? @michaelDCurran

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is also reproducible in outlook 2010 in german. In fact, what screen review seems to do is sometimes it moves words and characters together to a single big word and the text becomes unconfortable to read. I don't know if it is possible to solve this issue but I think it is related to the rendering of the grafic card maybe. But I might be wrong. @td.dinakar Does this behavior change if you change the resolution of the grafic card?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @nishimotz, @LeonarddeR

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants