Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

A new setting to configure the used review mode #3486

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 2, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

A new setting to configure the used review mode #3486

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 2, 2013 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kredh on 2013-09-02 13:01
It could be useful to have a setting to use a specific review mode. This would be particularly useful when a specific profile is being used: we could configure a specific application to be read with text review or object review (and will have the possibility to switch back, if needed).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ateu on 2013-09-02 15:10
I think this is not a good idea, since we can shortly to change the review mode with command keys.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by kredh on 2013-09-03 07:49
Well, what we can do with the new profile system is set the "braille follow ..." setting for a specific application. Which is very useful, I think: we can specify that the Windows Command Line (cmd.exe) be configured with a profile "braille follow review", whereas in Firefox or Foobar, the Braille should follow the system cursor.

Therefore, since for some applications it's more than usual to switch between review modes to read it (MUD client or some IRC clients need text review, the Windows or Python console do not), it'd be good to be able to set this in a profile. Before the switching between review modes existed, when the focused changed (by pressing alt + TAB for different windows), the flat review was automatically disabled and we had to press CTRL+PAVNUM7 again when we switched back to the application. Now we have to press CTRL+PAVNUM1 each time we press alt+TAB, if we use applications that need different review modes to be navigated through.

That's something I often do and I'm aware that a lot of NVDA users won't be in that case. On the other hand, it could be developed without disturbing anyone (and improve configuration for those, like me, who extensively use review modes for specific applications). Perhaps the setting could be set but not configured directly in the setting window? We would have to load a profile, press CTRL+PAVNUM7 and then save the profile to integrate it. Just a proposal.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by leonarddr on 2013-09-04 10:37
I agree on this matter. With braille, i'd like to use focus tethered to review, but in some applications screen review gives extremely bad results, where object review works well, and vise versa. It's a bit annoying to have to change de review mode all the time and not being able to predefine or save it.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

At least on the surface, this feature request makes sense to me. Simply put, review modes should be attachable to configuration profiles. Please change labels from enhancement to feature. @ehollig

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR actually now the braille tether is profile specific, so users could specify the tether to review for some applications at least for braille.
For speech, I would rather discuss further on #7749. I would vote for closing this one in favor of #7749.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

More discussion is in #7749. Closing this in favor of the referenced request.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants