Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Split out downloader used by updateCheck so it can be used elsewhere #3504

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 6, 2013 · 12 comments
Open
Labels
enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation.

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2013-09-06 04:57
updateCheck.UpdateDownloader downloads updates and displays an appropriate GUI, including progress indication. This requires quite a bit of code because, among other reasons, the download needs to happen in a background thread so it doesn't block NVDA. It'd be nice if this could be used by other code in future.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Nov 11, 2016

@jcsteh / @feerrenrut: Mind setting a milestone/priority for this?

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Nov 12, 2016
@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

This work would be to generify the current implementation so that it could easily be used to display an active nvda "background task". Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

P3 Assuming that I have understood this issue correctly.
I can see the value in this generally, however I think this could potentially be higher if we knew what this would be blocking. Are there specific preexisting issues or add-on ideas that would benefit from making this code generic?

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

One idea:

When the user presses donate, they have to go donate, and come back to
press done. Then they have to wait for the download. If NVDA were to
give them a reward, downloading the bundle when they are busy donating,
then the user comes back and hits done, and bang, their update starts
automatically.

On 11/11/2016 10:54 PM, Reef Turner wrote:

This work would be to generify the current implementation so that it
could easily be used to display an active nvda "background task".
Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

P3 Assuming that I have understood this issue correctly.
I can see the value in this generally, however I think this could
potentially be higher if we knew what this would be blocking. Are
there specific preexisting issues or add-on ideas that would benefit
from making this code generic?

You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub
#3504 (comment),
or mute the thread
https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AFGivcczw4uVmoQxaGq0OCZ_bJJ6_YVOks5q9VSEgaJpZM4Kv_Ih.

Derek Riemer
  • Department of computer science, third year undergraduate student.
  • Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
  • Open source enthusiast.
  • Member of Bridge Cu
  • Avid skiier.

Websites:
Honors portfolio http://derekriemer.com
Awesome little hand built weather app!
http://django.derekriemer.com/weather/

email me at derek.riemer@colorado.edu mailto:derek.riemer@colorado.edu
Phone: (303) 906-2194

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Nov 12, 2016

The most important issue blocked by this one is #3208. Also, a nice
to have for #4263 and #6281.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 13, 2016

I actually wrote a branch (t3504) years ago which does most (maybe all?) of this. I can't remember why I abandoned it. I think perhaps it wasn't going to fully solve the use case I had at the time (the OCR add-on) and I didn't see any point in pursuing it further. Unfortunately, I don't remember if anything was incomplete, but a brief look suggests not. It'll probably be partial bit rot by now, though.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

The download manager should be able to download URL's it receives (not only NVDA updates, but also add-on updates as well). We should limit this to installed copies only (after all, the file in question will be stored in temp directory). In case of add-ons manager using this, see #3208. Thanks.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Nov 26, 2016 via email

josephsl added a commit to josephsl/nvda that referenced this issue Feb 10, 2017
…recent releases. re nvaccess#3504

Modernized Jamie Teh's downloader class to include file hashes and other changes from recent releases. Testing shows it is working as advertised.
josephsl added a commit to josephsl/nvda that referenced this issue Feb 10, 2017
…recent releases. re nvaccess#3504

Modernized Jamie Teh's downloader class to include file hashes and other changes from recent releases. Testing shows it is working as advertised.
@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

Modernized to include enhancements from recent releases, including HTTPS support, file hashes and so on. Testing shows it is working as advertised by @jcsteh. Thanks.

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl will this be also solved when the addon update feature come into NVDA's core? Or are you going to raise a separate PR for this?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Dec 10, 2018 via email

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

I believe that it would allow updating addons via addonUpdater on try builds, which would be very nice to have. @josephsl Am i right? If I am maybe you can consider working on this.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

No, because Ad-on Updater is really an implementation of #3208, not this one. I also prefer to limit this to Core modules as we don't want someone writing an add-on designed to promote download of illegal content through NVDA.

Thanks.

@seanbudd seanbudd added the triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation. label Mar 7, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation.
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

10 participants