Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should be able to report when someone is typing in a Skype conversation #3506

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 7, 2013 · 12 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-09-07 07:05
If possible, NVDA should be made to optionally report when someone is typing a message in a conversation. As far as I remember from some comments in ticket #2298, it is possible to implement it. The reason to ask this is so the blind user may know when a person is typing in a conversation, so he can if needed stop typing himself and wait for the other person to finish typing and send his message. That way the possibility for missed (due to speech interruption) incoming messages is less likely to happen. And note, that sighted people can see that typing indicator on the screen in the current conversation.

Thanks much in advance!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-09-08 22:53
It's certainly possible. The problem is the "optional" bit. It seems overkill to implement a new settings dialog just for Skype, but perhaps not.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dallasobrien on 2013-11-11 13:47
i think this would be a good idea, but perhaps not a dialog option, just a key command to toggle?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:41
In [a799095]:

In a Skype conversation, NVDA now reports when a contact is typing.

Re #3506.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:53
In [dea0a6c]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next: major improvements for Skype, but requires Skype 7.

Incubates #4218, #3210, #3506, #3616, #4644, #4741.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-22 17:12
I don't know why, but I'm observing an oddity with the typing indicator. When NVDA reports that someone is typing, it seams to work OK. But the announcement "typing stopped" seams to be announced rather randomly and doesn't correspond with the truth in most cases. For the test purposes, I've started a chat from my main account to my test account, witch is offline at that time. I start typing a message and randomly NVDA announces that the typing has stopped. If that announcement is for the other participants stopped typing, it is not accurate, because the other party couldn't be typing at all being not online at the time. And there is no typing indicator at all at that time, to start with. The false announcement can easily be reproduced by start typing a message. As soon as a new line of entered text appears and the text edit fields expands upwards to fit the new text, NVDA will announce "typing stopped".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-23 06:15
In [68d7399]:

skype: Fix spurious/incorrect reporting of the typing indicator when the typing indicator is redrawn but there is no actual change, perhaps due to scrolling.

Re #3506.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-23 06:15
In [07b6dfe]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next

Incubates #3506.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mohammed on 2014-12-25 08:50
would be nice if this is made "optional" as in the original request. a toggle for those who don't want this verbosity

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh (in reply to comment 11) on 2015-01-06 04:03
Replying to mohammed:

would be nice if this is made "optional" as in the original request. a toggle for those who don't want this verbosity

Please file this as a separate request, as I think it's lower priority than supporting them in general and can be addressed later. To put it another way, I won't implement the toggle right now due to other priorities, so if users really don't want this at all unless it can be toggled, I'll remove the functionality altogether for now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-27 03:15
In [f0e53a2]:

Major fixes and enhancements to support for Skype for Desktop, including support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2015-01-27 03:18
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by k_kolev1985 on 2015-03-20 15:39
Hello all,

Recently Skype has updated to version 7.2.0.103. In this release, the typing indicator has changed again (including visually), and its announcement by NVDA got broken. So I advice users not to update to Skype 7.2, until this gets eventually fixed.

P.S.: Please let me know if I should file this as a new ticket, rather than reporting it here. I can provide an error log as well, but I'll have to update to 7.2 in order to do it, and I don't want to do it due to the issue mentioned here. But I'll do it if needs be.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…the typing indicator is redrawn but there is no actual change, perhaps due to scrolling.

Re #3506.
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants