Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Nvda and html5 attributes. #3525

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 13, 2013 · 19 comments
Closed

Nvda and html5 attributes. #3525

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 13, 2013 · 19 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by hyongsop.kim on 2013-09-13 07:51
These days, I think that web developers use html5 attributes such as header, footer, article, section and placeholder.
But Nvda can’t read these attributes yet.
I think that these attributes are very usful for the blind.
So if you know, please let me know when the function will be added.
Thank you.

Blocking #3866

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-09-13 08:18
I assume you mean HTML 5 structural tags? Many of these should already be supported with Firefox. They probably aren't supported in IE, though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by hyongsop.kim on 2013-09-17 08:07
Thank you for your reply.
But some attribute (html5) have to be added in Firefox or aInternet Explorer.
These are section, article, header, footer and aside and placeholder.
I tested it with these attributes in Firefox, none of these are read by Nvda newest snapshots.
Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-02-10 04:15
Header, footer and aside are all reported for me in Firefox. Placeholder and article are debatable as landmarks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by hyongsop.kim on 2014-02-10 13:45
Thank you.
I'm wondering why article tag is debatable in landmark.
And placeholder attribute is not related landmark, but it is related in label in editable text.
And section tag also has to be applied in landmark.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by kennpetri on 2014-12-12 20:46
Here is the behavior I am hearing:

In Firefox (34) with NVDA (2014.3), nav, main, search, and aside are all reported appropriately when using landmark navigation, regardless of whether a role is explicitly set on those elements.

Also, footer and header are reported. According to the ARIA in HTML W3C draft specification, however, footer and header should have no native ARIA semantics. I believe this is because a page should have only one "content info" and "banner," but can have an arbitrary number of footer and header elements.

By the way, JAWS follows the ARIA in HTML specification when used with IE. Footer and header are not announced unless a role is set explicitly. But when JAWS is used with Firefox, footer and header are announced -- the same results one gets when using NVDA and Firefox. So I'm wondering if this is a problem with Firefox's accessibility API rather than an NVDA issue.

Side note: In IE (11), NVDA will only report ARIA semantics on HTML5 sectioning elements, such as main, header, footer, etc., if the author explicitly sets a role on the element.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-01-08 09:15
The mapping of header and footer in Firefox is done by Firefox. See MozillaBug:849624, MozillaBug:610650, MozillaBug:593368. As you'll see, this has been debated quite heavily several times. If you really believe this to be incorrect, please file a bug with Mozilla and state your case.

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

nvdaes commented Dec 7, 2015

In reply to Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-02-10 04:15
Header, footer and aside are all reported for me in Firefox. Placeholder and article are debatable as landmarks.
About article, a member of spanish mailing list requests this:

1. NVDA should announce the article tag (I suppose both start and end of the element, as a container).
  2. A quick navigation shortcut for this element. He talks about JAWS, where r is used. I think about an arbitrary character, as j or z, as r is for radio buttons.
    Use cases:
    When reading and browsing blogs, forums, etc.
    Let me know if you prefer to discuss this in a new issue.
    Thanks.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Dec 7, 2015

As a matter of interest, does JAWS report article by default? IMO, this would cause a lot of very annoying verbosity.

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

nvdaes commented Dec 8, 2015

No idea. I don't use JAWS.
Thanks.

El 08/12/2015 a las 0:05, James Teh escribió:

As a matter of interest, does JAWS report article by default? IMO,
this would cause a lot of very annoying verbosity.

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#3525 (comment).

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Dec 8, 2015 via email

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

OK, I will ask him.

El 08/12/2015 a las 5:49, James Teh escribió:

Sure. Would your original reporter know, though? The only reason I care
is that if JAWS does this by default, chances are they haven't had too
many complaints from users about it, which suggests it doesn't create a
major verbosity problem.

#3525 (comment).

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

Hi, the original reporter explains that

is spoken by default
in JAWS, and that usually it's not anoying for him

El 08/12/2015 a las 5:49, James Teh escribió:

Sure. Would your original reporter know, though? The only reason I care
is that if JAWS does this by default, chances are they haven't had too
many complaints from users about it, which suggests it doesn't create a
major verbosity problem.

#3525 (comment).

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I added support for the HTML5 required attribute in #7321

@arodenbeck
Copy link

What is the consensus on adding support for the sectioning tags such as article? I can see where from a verbosity perspective you might not want to hear "article - article end" each time. An option that might turn that on or off would be nice, but the bigger problem is jumping from article to article. If this is properly used, a user would be able to jump over an article after determining that it is not of interest to them. I use a social media type system for work every day, and being able to jump from post to post is something that I very much need to make my job more efficient. Another scenario is for a call center representative to search through a list of knowledge articles. Often times these articles are not set off with headings, and instead marked up with

tags. This could change the experience for this type of user.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I also agree that having article reported would be helpful. I know that JAWS reports it, and I usually find it more useful than disruptive.

@arodenbeck
Copy link

Voiceover now supports articles independent of landmarks as well. I still stress that the ask is to be able to navigate by article, both to the beginning of the next, and being able to skip to the end of the current. Whether it appears in the document as article begin, article, is still a question of verbosity settings, but I would think for consistency sake it should probably act like any otoher landmark element. Should a new issue be open to clarify the request? @jcsteh

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@arodenbeck If you could create a new issue specifically for that, I believe it would make it easier to follow. If you wouldn't mind, could you add a summary of the main points from this issue when you do so?

@arodenbeck
Copy link

arodenbeck commented Dec 6, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Thanks. I am going to close this issue

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants