Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA's use windows' language option doesn't seem to work #353

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 13 comments
Closed

NVDA's use windows' language option doesn't seem to work #353

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 13 comments
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by timeless on 2009-07-02 13:42
NVDA 0.6p3.2, Windows 7 RC, Deutsch

I changed my Windows Display Language to Deutsch forced me to log off and ran NVDA, it still showed me its messages in English. When I told NVDA to use German, it restarted and its UI was German.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment languageHandler.patch added by pvagner on 2009-07-02 20:28
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment description) on 2009-07-02 14:22
Replying to timeless:

I changed my Windows User Interface Language to Deutsch forced me to log off and ran NVDA, it still showed me its messages in English. When I told NVDA to use German, it restarted and its UI was German.

NVDA uses your user language, not the system interface language. You can manage it under language and regional settings in control panel, first combobox. I cann't write exact labels because i am using russian localization of Windows.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by timeless on 2009-07-02 15:44
Sorry, the field is:

Display language
 Install or uninstall languages that Windows can use to display text
 and where supported recognize speech and handwriting.
                                [ (v) Install/uninstall languages...]
 Choose a display language:
 [                                                         v](Deutsch)
 |English                                                           |
 |Deutsch                                                           |
 |español                                                           |
 |suomi                                                             |
 |français                                                          |
 |עברית                                                              |

Note that changing it changes all of my Windows applications but not my login screen (which is covered by something else)

The welcome screen stuff is managed from the Administrative tab

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by pvagner on 2009-07-02 17:05
Perhaps we should change the name of this option.
You are correct it does not follow a language set on the language tab of the Regional settings control pannel applet. Instead it follows your locale settings which can be adjusted on the regional settings tab. I am not running english version of Windows either so I am not sure I am giving you correct control names. The setting NVDA follows is the one which controls displaying of numbers, times, dates and currencies.

Can you suggest some alternate name for this option?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by timeless on 2009-07-02 17:35
not really, it doesn't make sense.

If I speak English but want Finnish dates (because I happen to live in Finland and have to be able to see Finnish dates on my calendar), that doesn't mean I speak suomi (I don't).

Can you please explain why you're currently using the locale instead of the language to choose the language for the user interface?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by pvagner on 2009-07-02 18:52
I think this is correct setting to follow since not all the flavors of Windows allow changing the language.
Also when you select Finnish as your locale you will get month names translated to Finnish So for example you will get "2. heinäkuuta" instead of "2. July". I guess you don't like localized dates when you are unable to speak foreign language so you won't also change your locale to something else besides English or your mother tongue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by sid0 (in reply to comment 5) on 2009-07-02 19:25
Replying to pvagner:

I think this is correct setting to follow

I don't think it is, mainly because changing the locale doesn't change the language of the rest of the UI.

I understand http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688164.aspx#ESC is the recommended API for this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by pvagner on 2009-07-02 20:27
Thanks guys for the well written comments.
I have looked into the matter reading recommended material and I am attaching a patch addressing the issue.
I will commit it later when no other negative comments arise.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2009-07-02 23:17
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 0.7

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2009-08-17 04:46
Peter, is there any reason not to merge this? I took a look and it looks simple enough. If you haven't encountered any problems yet, please merge it so we can give testers time to find issues before the release. We can always revert it if need be.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2009.2 to 2009.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by pvagner on 2009-08-23 16:14
Fixed in r3142
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mdcurran on 2009-08-26 10:19
Does it make sence for the Installer also to use GetUserDefaultUILanguage? it currently uses GetThreadLocale to set its language.
I'm happy to change this if this makes sence.

1. The installer should be changed for the same reasons NVDA was changed.
  2. The installer language really must match eSpeak's synth language as best as possible, but now it may be possible for example for the installer to be in Chinese (because the locale is) but for NVDA to be in English because that is the default UI Language.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by pvagner on 2009-08-26 11:52
oops, I think we need to make these 2 to match each other. So if we have changed this in NVDA we should definatelly do it in the installer as well.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant