Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Continuous reading not stop when using new configurations and vocalizer voices #3540

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2013 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ManuelRamos on 2013-09-21 23:37
Dear Developers, NVDA is already most powerfull software for blind. And free! Thanks! A wqy to get independence!

I am using NVDA - last "next" version available - and I am having this problem.

I am using vocalizer voice Joana to read menus and things like that; and vocalizer voice Joana, more powerfull, to read text. For example to read word documents, other processor and webpages when loaded.

But, whenm opening a word document or a webpage, voice swiches, as expected; however, the text being read does not stop by pressing escape, control or even alt (start button).

In other words, text sotops being read, but after a long time, perheaps a minute or at least 30 seconds. I have not tested yet if text stops only in next paragraph.

Should I desable "say all" inin configuration triggers?

Thanks in advance (I am using Win7 64; winword 2010; firefox, last version available)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-09-22 22:43
Are you using Vocalizer Expressive or the older Vocalizer (2.0) driver? I assume you mean you are changing the variant in your profiles?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ragb on 2013-09-22 22:53
I'll take this one, since it seems to be Vocalizer related.

Shall I close it?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-09-22 23:12
@ragb: My suspicion (but I'm not certain because the steps to reproduce aren't clear) is that changing the voice (using the voice property) without first cancelling speech then breaks cancelling speech thereafter with the Vocalizer driver. I guess we could cancel speech before we change any voice properties. It'd be great if you could confirm this. I'm happy to consider a change in NVDA if there's a good reason for it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ragb (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-09-23 08:44
Replying to jteh:

@ragb: My suspicion (but I'm not certain because the steps to reproduce aren't clear) is that changing the voice (using the voice property) without first cancelling speech then breaks cancelling speech thereafter with the Vocalizer driver. I guess we could cancel speech before we change any voice properties. It'd be great if you could confirm this. I'm happy to consider a change in NVDA if there's a good reason for it.

I believe you're right, although I can't reproduce it here right now.
When the voice is changed in vocalizer, speech is not canceled, and the next time the cancel method is called, the voice instance being stopped is the "new" one, not the one that was speaking (since we cache voice instances, they are not destroyed nor stopped). Since in "normal" voice changes (settings dialog, settings ring, etc.) speech was being always canceled this bug didn't apear.

For now I'll cancel speech in Vocalizer driver when setting a new voice, since it would be impossible stopping the preveous voice after changing. Anyway, I do believe all drivers should cancel what is being spoken when setting a new voice to avoid problems like these.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-12-01 06:17
@ragb, is there anything we need to do on our end or should I close this?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 13, 2017

CC @ragb, could you respond to @jcsteh in #3540 (comment)?

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 14, 2017 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 14, 2017

Closing as requested in #3540 (comment)

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 14, 2017
@ehollig ehollig removed the blocked label Aug 14, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants