Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

nvda input tables list doesn't contain an arabic tables #3549

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 25, 2013 · 12 comments
Closed

nvda input tables list doesn't contain an arabic tables #3549

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 25, 2013 · 12 comments
Labels
blocked component/braille feature p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority task
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by fatma.mehanna on 2013-09-25 11:53
hi,
arabic braille sense users confirm that they can't read what is being typed on their braille display.
when i asked them to change the input table to arabic, they found out that the list of input tables doesn't include arabic.
note, the output list contains arabic tables.
so what should be done?
thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-10-16 04:25
NVDA can only currently handle computer braille input; i.e. a single braille cell maps to a single character. There is only a grade 1 Arabic table, which isn't computer braille. In order for Arabic braille input to work, an Arabic computer braille table would need to be developed, assuming there's even an Arabic computer braille code.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mohammed on 2014-08-19 15:47
Hi Jamie.

I couldn't find clear and easy documentation for developing Braille tables in Liblouis. any directions you or someone else can give will be valuable to get me started on that path. P.S. Arabic grade 2 table needs to be developed too.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-08-20 06:49
This documentation can be found on the Liblouis website. The section you want is How to Write Translation Tables.

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment May 1, 2017
@feerrenrut feerrenrut added blocked feature p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority labels May 2, 2017
@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

We would happy to receive a pull request for this, for now I believe we are still blocked by the creation of Arabic translation tables (please correct me if I'm wrong).

@mohdshara
Copy link

Hi. An Arabic input table now exists, however it doesn't work very well, it can only type the Arabic characters that don't map to any English character. that's because the existing Arabic table defines English characters via an include statement. which I think is wrong and nonstandard. I tried to edit the table but it didn't work. It looks like simply editing the table and restarting NVDA is not enough if you're not running from source. Can anyone help me with this quest?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 11, 2017

Editing a table and restarting should be sufficient. If you're using an installed copy of NVDA, you'll have to edit it within the Program Files directory, which requires administrator privileges. It might be easier to use a portable copy for this reason.

@mohdshara
Copy link

thanks. I just can't find the table responsible for input C:\nvda\louis\tables\ar-ar-g1.utb seems to handle Arabic braille output. while ar.tbl doesn't seem to do anything. can you guide me in this regard?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 12, 2017 via email

@Hatoon-fel
Copy link

@jcsteh Hello!
I tried to edit the ar-ar-g1.utb to make it avoid confusion between Arabic and english characters, by trying to edit all include statements, But nothing change.
could you guide us to the right statements we have to edit, or if there is another file we need to edit please?
Thank you for all your efforts to make NVDA better!
@mohdshara

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 14, 2017

Please address questions/bugs regarding liblouis tables to the liblouis project. See https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis for details. There is a mailing list to which you can subscribe to ask questions. Thanks.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 14, 2017

Closing because the table is now listed after #6449. It needs to be fixed to support back-translation properly, but that should be addressed in the liblouis project. Once the fixes make it into a liblouis release, this can be included in NVDA.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Jul 14, 2017
@jcsteh jcsteh added this to the 2017.3 milestone Jul 14, 2017
@ikrami1
Copy link

ikrami1 commented Dec 6, 2018

this is now fixed in liblouis 3.8.
back-translating Arabic characters works fine

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
blocked component/braille feature p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority task
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants