Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Enhancement: NVDA should read the nearest heading for an item /element in browse mode #3554

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 27, 2013 · 4 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by spanchang02 on 2013-09-27 16:33
The NVDA+T key reads the page title which is very good for non sighted users to determine "where am I?".
It will be very very useful if this was enhanced to make NVDA expose the nearest h tag content (where there is one) when the user's focus is on a UI element or even on other text in browse mode.

1. This will make NVDA support WCAG 2 Technique H80
    http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H80.html
  2. If this behavior is permitted on non focusable content, it will certainly help users but also make life for developers easy when complex data tables have to be marked up: consider a table where rows are grouped like the ones on:
    http://mars.dequecloud.com/demo/Census_2013.htm
    The second table is the same as the first but does not use headers-id method but just TH with scope attribute for header cells. The row group headers for Age, Race, etc. are marked up as h3. So when an NVDA user is navigating the table, he will have the column and row header cells announced of course. But he can query as needed (using NVDA key + T) to determine in which group of rows he is currently in.

So the contents of the h<> tag should be read before the page title preferably with a one or two second pause or a beep sound as a separator.
That will be great!
Thanks a lot,
Sailesh

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Although this is an interesting idea, I don't think this should be included in NVDA+t title reporting, as that is specifically for tables. An alternative could be a specific script that reports the focus ancestry, and the nearest heading in browse mode as well.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 10, 2017

@leonardder commented on 8 Jul 2017, 02:48 GMT+10:

Although this is an interesting idea, I don't think this should be included in NVDA+t title reporting, as that is specifically for tables.

Did you mean titles?

We've never quite worked out how to elegantly handle the "where am I?" question for NVDA. I don't think including this in NVDA+t is out of the question, but I think this whole concept needs to be generalised somewhat.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

what about where am I becoming nvda+del?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh commented on 10 jul. 2017 03:16 CEST:

Did you mean titles?

Oops, yes, sorry.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants