Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Added NVDA Shortcuts Information to NVDA Menu #3584

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 17, 2013 · 15 comments
Open

Added NVDA Shortcuts Information to NVDA Menu #3584

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 17, 2013 · 15 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by surfer0627 on 2013-10-17 03:01
Is it possible to add NVDA shortcuts in NVDA menu?

‧General Settings (NVDA+control+g)
‧Synthesizer Selection (NVDA+control+s)
‧Voice Settings (NVDA+control+v)
‧Keyboard Settings (NVDA+control+k)
‧Mouse Settings (NVDA+control+m)
‧Object Presentation Settings (NVDA+control+o)
‧Browse Mode Settings (NVDA+control+b)
‧Document Formatting Settings (NVDA+control+d)

‧Save configuration (NVDA+control+c)

‧Revert configuration (NVDA+control+r)

‧Braille Tethered to (NVDA+control+t)

‧Python console (NVDA+control+z)

Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by surfer0627 on 2013-10-17 03:57
Changes:
Changed title from "Added NVDA Shortcuts in NVDA Menu" to "Added NVDA Shortcuts to NVDA Menu"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-10-17 04:10
This definitely makes sense. The problem is that these shortcuts might have been reassigned by the user. There's no quick, efficient way for the code to determine the key associated with a single command because a command can be overridden at several different levels.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by surfer0627 on 2013-10-17 05:47
Changes:
Changed title from "Added NVDA Shortcuts to NVDA Menu" to "Added NVDA Shortcuts Information to NVDA Menu"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by surfer0627 (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-10-17 08:42
By creating this ticket, I hope that NVDA could provide more information for users.

FOr example:
‧Synthesizer...

expected: Synthesizer... (NVDA+control+s)

‧Document formatting...

expected: Document formatting... (NVDA+control+d)

‧Python console

expected: Python console (NVDA+control+z)

Thank you.

Replying to jteh:

This definitely makes sense. The problem is that these shortcuts might have been reassigned by the user. There's no quick, efficient way for the code to determine the key associated with a single command because a command can be overridden at several different levels.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by surfer0627 on 2013-10-29 02:17
Shortcut information:
‧Configuration Profiles (NVDA+control+p)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2013-10-29 02:33
I understand what you're requesting here. I explained in comment:2 why this can't be done at present: the user might reassign them and there's no quick way to get the current binding.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by surfer0627 (in reply to comment 6) on 2013-10-30 01:16
Replying to jteh:

Yes, I got the point: "the user might reassign them and there's no quick way to get the current binding."

Is it possible that we don't have to get the current binding?

We just provide some useful tips for users. In the defult settings, users could use these shortcuts.

Now, users could only get shortcut information from User Guide and Commands Quick Reference.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by surfer0627 on 2014-11-14 01:51
Shortcut information:

Logs information about the current navigator object (NVDA+f1)

I do not know the shortcut until I read the ticket #4439, comment2.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh noted in #3584 (comment) that reassigned key bindings are programmatically difficult to retrieve efficiently. Since the requested feature makes a lot of sense to me too, and it is very much possible that novice NVDA users may remain unaware about the keystrokes assigned to these NVDA dialogs, I would like to request technical reconsideration of this ticket by developers. Also, quite a few NVDA.ini dialogs are being unified in a pull request by @LeonarddeR which may affect this issue in ways. Thus, all this needs to be taken into account while we try to evaluate the relevance of this ticket with respect to ongoing NVDA GUI work.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is not an issue anymore with the new NVDA gui.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR I think this can be closed.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Oh sorry I think I missunderstood the issue. So it is required to bring object shortcut information to the menu and the cathegories. The problem I see here is that shortcuts can be adjusted by translators for the menu items. This is indeed very good because people who cannot speak inglish are able to build easily a context between the shortcut and the menu items. Ofcourse if the translation is accurate.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

But this could be acomplished for settings ccathegories at least.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh how is this actually solved in Firefox? Because when you navigate through the menu you get i.e. ctrl+t for opening a new tab etc. Maybe the gestures for opening the settings cathegories should be excluded from the input dialog so that they cannot be changed. What do you think?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 16, 2019 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants