Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Allow NVDA to continue speaking when multimedia keys are pressed #3595

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 22, 2013 · 3 comments
Closed

Allow NVDA to continue speaking when multimedia keys are pressed #3595

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 22, 2013 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by garrettk18 on 2013-10-22 01:04
I have a keyboard with media keys, and I often find I want to change tracks or adjust the volume of my music while reading a document. Right now, NVDA doesn't treat these keys specially, and stops reading whenever one of these keys is pressed.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on this, both from a development and user perspective. I can see some cases where this behavior would be undesirable (i.e. user exploring a new system and not knowing the functionality of various controls). Personally, at work I find it useful, especially when I'm programming and just need to click over to a new track ETC.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-10-22 01:16
This one is unfortunately rather subjective. We don't interrupt speech for the volume keys, since adjusting the volume will affect the volume of speech output and the user may wish to hear this as it is happening. I'd argue the other multimedia keys aren't any different to other command keys (function keys, etc.); they all perform some command. If we don't interrupt speech, they can't be reported as command keys using speak command keys, which as you say might be a problem for new users.

From an implementation point of view, it's fairly easy to do either; it's just a matter of what the KeyboardInputGesture.speechEffectWhenExecuted property returns.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Could you please clarify exactly which keys are being referred to as multimedia keys in the context of this ticket? Play/Pause is one that comes to mind, but it would be beneficial if you could specify all multimedia keys that this ticket encompasses, since we have no means of contacting the original author of this ticket.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 27, 2017

The reporter wasn't specific, but I assumed play/pause, next track, previous track, etc. Volume up/down was also covered, but we don't interrupt speech for those already.

I don't think it's unreasonable for play/pause, next, previous, etc. to interrupt speech, just as pressing a function key interrupts speech. In particular, the use case given above seems strange to me (skipping tracks while programming). Everyone is different, but from what I've seen, programming doesn't usually involve reading large amounts of text without any input from the user, so interrupting reading of a line (for example) to change tracks doesn't seem unreasonable.

Closing as won't fix. If a compelling use case can be given (and an argument for why these shouldn't be treated like function keys, etc.), we can reconsider.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants