Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

multilinguality of installer #3596

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 22, 2013 · 11 comments
Open

multilinguality of installer #3596

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 22, 2013 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aslani.ali on 2013-10-22 11:30
the nvda installation process should be available on the languages which NVDA has been translated into.
by providing a comboBox or Edit combo:
1- reading language name and refering to the translated strings; or
2- when language is selected, the mo file be extracted as temp file and reference to it be returned into the installer application.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-10-22 22:11
The installer is just a temporary copy of NVDA, so:

1. It will automatically detect the language your system is using.
  2. If you want to choose another language, you can do this via NVDA menu -> Preferences -> General settings -> Language.

Can you explain why you don't want to use the automatically detected language to install? That should be the language you're using on your system, which means much of the rest of the system is in that language and you are presumably able to understand it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aslani.ali on 2013-10-23 03:44
1- whereas default input language in windows OS differs with default display language; and whereas NVDA retrieves default display language rather than default input language and this operation is correct; and whereas the windows OS has not been translated any language pack for Farsi and i'm using NVDA in farsi;
therefore NVDA cannot be automatically detect farsi as default language of our system in this situation.
2- most of persons who starts the NVDA installer, do not expect that the installer process has extracted the complete revision of NVDA as a temp directory and maybe does not guess that the NVDA menu will be available while the installer started the NVDA. then it is better to make users able to select the prefered language from installer window and installer can make the changes applicable by NVDA API(s) and maybe without need to restart NVDA in order to language change to effect.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-10-23 03:56
Unfortunately, changing the language without restarting isn't possible without a massive amount of refactoring.

It's worth noting that the launcher isn't just for installation. It might also be used just as a temporary copy. I guess a button to change the language could be presented on the launcher screen somewhere. However, it seems inappropriate to allow setting changes from that screen.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by aslani.ali (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-10-23 05:15
as you presented,
it seems inappropriate to allow setting changes from that screen.
why?
because users mostly are not aware of the matter that NVDA installer has extracted a temporary copy and they can access to NVDA menu?!
each user sees his or her language name on the setup screen, why not in NVDA?
why not in powerful and highly useful software?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2013-10-23 05:25
If we provide an option for language on that screen, why not any other setting? It sets a potentially problematic precedent. Eventually, that screen would become very cluttered.

At this stage, I'm not saying we absolutely won't do this, but it needs to be considered very carefully. It's also very low priority, since you need to be able to understand the language to some extent anyway if it's your system display language. You can still change the language once NVDA is installed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by aslani.ali (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-10-23 05:43
please consider standard installers!
other settings are not as important as the language setting is.
then, most applications should remove this mentioned choice from their installers because of simplification of their setup screens.
of course, i'm along with you that this subject is not highly important.
please consult it by other professioners.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by nvdakor on 2014-04-26 04:15
Hi,
A good example would be the setup screen for CCleaner - once a language is selected, CCleaner setup extracts the newly configured lang files (which might not be desirable in a very secure facility or if unattended installation is needed (the second point, in my opinion, is important for remote installation scenarios)).

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I sort of agree that a simple combo box on one of the initial launcher screens of the NVDA installer executable should be sufficient in fulfilling the requirements highlighted in this ticket without causing any clutter. A lot of standard programs offer a language selection option for their installer also, a president that some might expect NVDA to follow. In addition, some may be looking at the installer as a way to create a portable copy or run a temporary copy for testing purposes, but the majority, particularly the apprentice user, views this file strictly as an installer. Many software offer localization from the process of installation itself probably for the very reason that the default system language might not be available for their respective software or not what the user typically expects. While I agree that careful consideration will be necessary to take this ticket forward, I think (NV Access) accepting it as a valid feature request would be a good preliminary step to spark discussion.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I also agree that this could be part of NVDA's installer, especially for languages which are not supported on Windows but in NVDA. However, I don't know which priority should be set on this.
@feerrenrut do you think a P3 is adequate?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut This is a friendly reminder to consider responding to #3596 (comment). Maybe the implementation cost would negatively affect this ticket's priority. But I am happy to restate responses to arguments about setting a problematic precedent and changing languages through the NVDA menu instead; I don't think those two points are particularly persuasive.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I'm not convinced that this is a big enough problem to offset the added complexity, and the noise it adds it the UX. The vast majority of users will be using Windows in their preferred language, and almost all of the rest are likely to be able to understand the language Windows is using on their system. If they do not, NVDA is still going to be difficult to use.

For those installing NVDA on a remote system, a command line language parameter should suffice, people doing this should be considered advanced users, at least enough to be able to use a command line argument if necessary.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants