Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

This is a feature request for the return of the insert-ctrl-I hotkey to invoke the "input gestures" dialog #3604

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 23, 2013 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dgoldfield on 2013-10-23 18:46
I feel that having a hotkey to invoke the "input gestures" dialog was a wonderful feature and I was sorry to see that it was removed. It is much easier to bring up the dialog in this way as opposed to going through the menus. At the very least, would the development team consider having the key as being unassigned in the default configuration? this would give users the choice of assigning it if they wanted to use it; otherwise, there would be no functional change in the program.
Blocked by #4898

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-10-23 19:19
I can't imagine a good reason this dialog would be opened regularly enough to warrant wasting a quick shortcut. It perhaps makes sense for document formatting settings, since you may want to change those quickly, but I figured input gesture bindings are something that would only be changed from time to time, not on the fly. You can still open this dialog fairly quickly using menu shortcuts (NVDA+n, p, n), which is almost as fast as NVDA+control+i. That said, it'd be great if you can explain why you need this.

I guess it can be left as an unbound command, though this would probably need to be documented somehow in the User Guide and I can't think of a good way to do this. It could also be done in an add-on.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dgoldfield on 2013-10-24 14:53
I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that this hotkey is something that I or other users would need. It's my guess that many users may wish to access this dialog with a fair degree of regularity to add or reassign shortcut keys as they come up with new ideas for specific keyboard layouts over time, not just opening the dialog on a rare or occasional basis. I know this is true for me, but your views may be accurate and I will respect your decision if you feel that having such a hotkey is not necessary. As you said, someone could write an add-on to take care of this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by MHameed on 2013-10-24 15:50
I think it should be unbound and documented in the userGuide.
This is not the only instance that could go there, but also unbound gestures for braille settings
and review cursor settings dialogs.
We have an addon to provide the last two, but its a lot of overhead just for two shortcuts.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-10-24 23:37
Braille settings and review cursor settings arguably do need default bindings, since the user may well want to change these settings on the fly. However, we should discuss that elsewhere.

How do you propose we document unbound commands? I suspect that will lead to a lot of confusion. It's particularly problematic for settings dialogs because they include their key binding in brackets inside the heading. If we write (unbound) or something, the obvious question is, "What does that mean? How do I bind it?"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2013-10-25 00:11
Hi,
Bernd already created an add-on just for this:
https://bitbucket.org/nvdaaddonteam/activatebrailleandreviewsettingsdialog
I could ask Bernd to include input gestures dialog shortcut as part of this add-on later.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by dgoldfield on 2013-10-25 00:17
I agree that terms like unbound would be confusing to some users. You could rephrase it to something like "this hotkey or shortcut key is currently not assigned" which might make more sense, particularly for users coming from other screen readers. You could also add something like "see section x.xx for more information about how to assign an NVDA shortcut key.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2013-10-25 05:06
Replying to dgoldfield:

I agree that terms like unbound would be confusing to some users. You could rephrase it to something like "this hotkey or shortcut key is currently not assigned" which might make more sense, particularly for users coming from other screen readers.

Such a long piece of text doesn't fit nicely. It's also biased to keyboard, but NVDA supports touch as well. In addition, it needs to indicate that it can be assigned, not just that it isn't, since there are some settings that can't be assigned.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2015-02-09 02:16
Rolling this into #4898.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant