Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should prompt the user before resetting configuration to defaults. #3607

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 26, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by laughingthunder on 2013-10-26 20:18
I recently created a new portable copy of NVDA to test a configuration for use at school, and realized that NVDA does not prompt the user before resetting its configuration to factory defaults. I feel this is an over-site that should be corrected for the next release, since it is now possible to have add-ons installed which require licensing to function, such as the Vocalizer speech synthesizer. It is also worth noting that the option to reset the configuration is directly below the option to revert to the previously saved configuration, making it easy to reset NVDA by mistake. I feel that adding a simple OK/Cancel prompt or similar would help alleviate potential issues with accidentally resetting NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-10-27 20:17
If you unintentionally reset to factory defaults, you can always recover immediately by reverting to saved configuration, since you haven't saved the new settings yet.

I guess we could prompt for confirmation if the user resets via the NVDA menu, though I'm not sure it's necessary given my first point. Can you explain why reverting isn't sufficient?

We definitely don't want to prompt the user when resetting to factory defaults by triple pressing NVDA+control+r, since they may be using that to recover from a situation where they can't understand or have lost speech and/or braille for some reason.

I'm pretty sure Vocalizer stores its license separate from the main NVDA configuration, so resetting to factory defaults should have no effect on this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-10-27 20:18
Changing to enhancement given the ability to easily recover as I explained.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by laughingthunder on 2013-11-03 03:52
Good points. I didn't realize that NVDA simply wipes the configuration from RAM. I thought that the reset option completely wiped the configuration from disk. As for Vocalizer, you are correct.

However, there are two exceptions to this that I can think of. First, if the user is using a portable version of NVDA, Vocalizer's license data is stored in a sub directory of the main user config directory called "vocalizer-for-nvda."

Second, if the user is still using an older version of Vocalizer, the license data is stored in a file called "vocalizer_license.ini," which is saved by the Vocalizer driver in the root of NVDA's config directory, regardless of whether NVDA is installed or portable.

Therefore, I would say that it would probably be safe to add a prompt for resetting NVDA only when doing so from the menu, and when the copy of NVDA is portable. However, given your point about reverting, I don't think it would be absolutely necessary to add this feature.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-11-03 03:57
Reverting config only reverts stuff in the main NVDA configuration and profiles (nvda.ini and profiles directory).

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Duplicate of #6648

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 26, 2017

Closing as duplicate of #6648, as #6648 has a priority.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants