Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

In Skype chat Windows, new sent messages are read twice #3616

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 1, 2013 · 9 comments
Closed

In Skype chat Windows, new sent messages are read twice #3616

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 1, 2013 · 9 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by PZajda on 2013-11-01 14:04
Hi,

With the last version of Skype, when I send a new message, NVDA read it twice: one time within telling the message hasn't been sent yet, and another time just after when the message has been sent.
This was not the case before because Skype used [and]() to mark messages which haven't been sent.

In the last version, the indication is different: instead of brackets, Skype display the indication in all letters.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by dallasobrien on 2014-05-06 02:28
hi. after doing a little bit of playing, and researching, i found the following so far.
if you use the chat list view, to arrow through the chats, you will find the following.
messages that have not been sent as of yet, have a , {comma} right after the last char of your message. a delivered one, looses the , [comma} sign, and simply displays your message. this is not quite reflected the same when using screen review mode. you have to actually look at them in the list of chats, to see this. so perhaps this can lead the NVDA devs to find a way to recognise when a message gos through or not, so it seperates the spoken messages properly, so it will say it once when it's sending, and again when it's sent through. perhaps the first message could be given a "message not delivered yet," or similar ending to denote it from a sent one. just ideas here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-05-06 07:34
Actually, isn't there a "undelivered" text string in the undelivered chat message? I think there is, on the end. And NVDA reads it fine, if I remember correctly. Since the message content meant for screen readers is changed when an undelivered message gets delivered, NVDA reads it again, because the reading of chat messages in Skype from NVDA is based on the "Read dynamic content changes" function, witch should read the changed content in a specific area of a window if set to do so, and that is exactly what is happening in Skype's conversation (chat) windows.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-19 12:09
In [ccd7f37]:

When you send a message in Skype, it is no longer read twice.

We were previously using the list item text to find the last message. In recent versions of Skype, this causes problems because the delivery status is included in the text, so the text changes once the message is delivered.
Thankfully, in recent versions of Skype, we can rely on the child ids to detect new messages, which simplifies things a lot and fixes this double reporting problem.
Re #3616.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:53
In [dea0a6c]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next: major improvements for Skype, but requires Skype 7.

Incubates #4218, #3210, #3506, #3616, #4644, #4741.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by dallasobrien on 2014-12-30 20:35
hi. the only thing i've noticed here, is that by doing this, it's not detecting when a message has been edited, and reading the edited message again. is there a way it can detect this, so that when somebody edits their message, it will repete the edited message? it's a bit hard to tell when a message has been edited if it doesn't do this, unless you just happen to check the message with the review commands.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2015-01-06 05:08
There are a couple of problems with reporting edits:

1. We don't know how far back to scan. I think there's a limit to how many messages back you can edit, but even so, we might still have to scan back beyond the last message and the question is how far. We'd also have to cache the messages so we know when one of them changed.
  2. It's language specific because the only way to tell whether a message is edited is to examine the text of the message from Skype.

If you want this, please file a separate ticket. I certainly don't think I can implement it as part of this current work. Also, it'd be great if you can do a bit of research about what messages can and can't be edited; e.g. how far back, whether you can edit if the other party sent a message after your message, etc. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-27 03:15
In [f0e53a2]:

Major fixes and enhancements to support for Skype for Desktop, including support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2015-01-27 03:18
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
We were previously using the list item text to find the last message. In recent versions of Skype, this causes problems because the delivery status is included in the text, so the text changes once the message is delivered.
Thankfully, in recent versions of Skype, we can rely on the child ids to detect new messages, which simplifies things a lot and fixes this double reporting problem.
Re #3616.
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.
@dnistreanu
Copy link

dnistreanu commented Jul 9, 2019

I still experience this issue. Windows 10 x64 .
Skype version 8.48.0.51
Application version 14.48.51.0

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants