Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Problem when creating a keyboard shortcut with the Input Gestures Dialog #3617

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 1, 2013 · 4 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by PZajda on 2013-11-01 14:25
Hi,

When creating a keyboard gesture, NVDA displays a pop-up menu to choose the keyboard layout which this shortcut will be used for.
The problem is, if I want to leave this menu I.E. because a mistake when selecting the concerned shortcut, there is no way to cancel the operation without closing the dialog.
If I press escape, the menu stays opened but the dialog is closed.
The behavior for Alt+F4 is a little different and more radical: the dialog and the menu are both closed.

This can be annoying if others unsaved modifications have been made since this dialog has been opened, because these won't be saved.
And this menu which doesn't close when pressing Escape could causes some confusions.

Some thoughts to solve it:

• Add a "Cancel" menu item;
  • Make the escape key and Alt+F4 to only close the menu, not all the dialog;
  • Or a combination of both :)

Thanks.
Blocked by #3763

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-11-01 22:24
The issue with the escape key closing the dialog instead of closing the menu is a bug in wx. I did find a ticket in the wx tracker about this, but I don't remember what number it was off the top of my head. Perhaps we cna find a work around. I agree it's pretty ugly.

Pressing alt will close the menu without making a specific selection. However, the way it is now, it will just default to the first item. Cancelling is difficult because an item already gets added when you press the Add button ("Enter input gesture:"), even though it isn't useful yet. Note that if there was only one choice, there'd be no menu and you wouldn't have the chance to cancel it. You cancel it by just removing the new item. If this is a major problem for people, I can try to change it, but note the point about the case of a single choice.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nvdakor on 2014-12-30 04:12
Hi,
Coming back to this ticket...
If I try closing the menu by pressing ESC in next.11424, the menu is closed, suggesting the underlying WX issue was solved in WXPython 3. As Jamie said, when the menu is closed, the first choice is automatically selected.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-09 02:45
In [40a6012]:

Updated wxPython to 3.0.2.0.

Fixes #3763, #2115, #2539, #3617.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-01-09 02:53
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant