Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

unable to subscribe to newsgroups using Thunderbird #3619

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 3, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

unable to subscribe to newsgroups using Thunderbird #3619

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 3, 2013 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by laughingthunder on 2013-11-03 03:14
I just attempted to subscribe to newsgroups on the news.grc.com server using Thunderbird. However the groups appear in an inaccessible tree view in Thunderbird's subscribe dialog.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Thunderbird and launch it as a standard user.
  2. Add a new newsgroups account. On the first screen, enter the required information and select the next button.
  3. In the newsgroup server field, enter "news.grc.com" without the quotes, and select the next button.
  4. Enter an account name of your choosing and select next.
  5. Verify the information and select the finish button.
  6. At this point, you should be returned to the Thunderbird main page. Select the link labeled "Manage newsgroup subscriptions."
  7. In the resulting dialog, select the refresh button.
  8. At this point, it should be easy enough to tab around the dialog, find the list of possible newsgroups, and select which ones to subscribe to. However this is not the case, as Mozilla has chosen to use a nonstandard tree view like control to represent the group list, and NVDA does not recognize it at all.

I have attached a log showing the developer info for the control in question. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to find any good accessible newsgroup readers other than Thunderbird.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment Newsgroup_Subscribe_Control_Info.log added by laughingthunder on 2013-11-03 03:15
Description:
The log file I described in the ticket

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-11-05 06:39
Ug. This used to work better in older versions of Thunderbird, but it looks like they've completely broken it. Now, the tree items aren't exposed at all. I'll file a bug with Mozilla, but unfortunately, it's unlikely to get fixed fast.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-11-05 06:51
Filed MozillaBug:934872.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Seems that the Mozilla Bug is still open.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think this should be fixed in Thunderbird 62.0. @Laughingthunder is this still an issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

The Mozilla bug is solved and the tree view works as expected in Thunderbird 60.6.1 with NVDA 2019.1.1. I am closint this as works for me.
cc: @bdorer, @Novalis7747 if you find some time to test and if you still see this issue, please comment on it and we can reopen the discussion.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants