Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Lag when using Windows Explorer #3642

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 12, 2013 · 8 comments
Closed

Lag when using Windows Explorer #3642

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 12, 2013 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by DCPendleton on 2013-11-12 14:49
While navigating through the file list of Windows Explorer, NVDA takes a minimum of 0.2 seconds to announce the filename depending on the contents or structure of the folder and the number of items contained within it. Naturally the more items are in a folder the more it lags, which can become tedious and frustrating if you need to access files quickly when there are several. For example, it takes approximately 0.6 seconds to announce filenames in a folder of 50 audio files.
I have tried changing the Windows display theme several times but this has no effect as far as the screenreader is concerned. This happens when using the detail view layout in Explorer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-11-12 21:15
There is a known issue with Windows 7 Explorer where it will lag more and more over time due to a buggy UI Automation implementation. Can you confirm whether rebooting (or just killing Explorer and restarting it if you're comfortable doing that) speeds things up? On my system, soon after Explorer is started, response in Explorer is near instantaneous.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by DCPendleton (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-11-13 02:33
Thanks to your advice after doing a few tests it appears that it helps to change one of explorer's options, namely to launch folder windows as a separate process (folder options, view tab). If there is a way to fix NVDA to work better with default options then that will help, but at least this is a solution in the meantime. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-11-13 02:38
It'd be great if you could answer the questions i asked in comment:1, just so we can be clear whether we're talking about the same problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by DCPendleton (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-11-13 03:14
Both rebooting and restarting explorer do speed things up considerably.
Replying to jteh:

There is a known issue with Windows 7 Explorer where it will lag more and more over time due to a buggy UI Automation implementation. Can you confirm whether rebooting (or just killing Explorer and restarting it if you're comfortable doing that) speeds things up? On my system, soon after Explorer is started, response in Explorer is near instantaneous.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2013-11-13 10:10
Just to muddy the waters a little, when working on a fairly slow windows 7 machine, I speeded it up by turning off real time checking of the Microsoft security essentials. I noted that for some reason it hung when scrolling on pdf files more than most others, which made me think about the anti virus issue. Of course on a mega fast machine it may not be an issue.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Based on #3642 (comment), it does seem like the same issue is being discussed mutually. Thus, could you please respond to #3642 (comment) and update us about the current standing of Windows Explorer's performance on Windows 7 with NVDA?

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Aug 26, 2017 via email

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 27, 2017

I guess performance being better when starting windows in separate processes makes sense; that would essentially be the same as restarting Explorer for that instance. The bug that causes this behaviour only occurs after quite some amount of usage.

I haven't heard anything to suggest this issue has gone away in Windows 7. It's certainly gone in later versions of Windows. Unfortunately, this is a bug in Explorer, not NVDA, and Microsoft are very unlikely to even consider fixing it for Windows 7, since their focus is now very much on Windows 10. We don't have any way to work around this. Given this, I'm closing this as can't fix, frustrating as that is for users.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants