Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

the first skype coming chat message is not being read by nvda #3655

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 20, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

the first skype coming chat message is not being read by nvda #3655

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 20, 2013 · 6 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug close/cantfix

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by fatma.mehanna on 2013-11-20 22:29
hi,
i use nvda version 2013.3rc2 and windows 7 64 bit and skype version 6.10
what happens is when someone starting a chat with me, nvda doesn't read the first coming message.
it reads all the other messages as usual. the problem only occures with the first one.
i just hear the skype alert of the message arrival, but nvda doesn't read it
thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by fatma.mehanna on 2013-11-20 22:31
Changes:
Changed title from "the first coming chat message is not being read by nvda" to "the first skype coming chat message is not being read by nvda"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-11-21 08:57
When this occurs, is the window for the conversation in question in focus? Is it opened at all? Is Skype in default or compact view? Because if the conversation window is not in focus when someone sends us a message, the window does not get the focus automatically, specially if Skype is in compact view - in such a case, the new conversation window appears minimized in the taskbar. If Skype is in its default view (all windows of the application in one combined window), the Skype main window has to be in focus when the chat message arrives, in order for NVDA to read it automatically. Because NVDA reads automatically new chat messages only for the currently focused conversation window, and not for conversation windows in the background. In order to overcome this, NVDA has to either use another method to monitor for new incoming messages, or to learn to recognize the Skype alerts from the system tray and the user to set Skype to display an alert in the system tray when someone sends him a message.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by fatma.mehanna (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-11-21 23:55
Replying to k_kolev1985:

When this occurs, is the window for the conversation in question in focus?

no, when i hear the skype alert for an incoming message, i go to open the window.

Is Skype in default or compact view?
it is in compact view to have a separate window for each conversation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-12-21 02:53
Can someone with some sight tell me what happens when you close the Skype window and a message comes in? I've hacked in support for notifications here, but it seems incoming messages don't pop up a Skype notification, even though I have "starts an IM with me" checked in Skype Notifications. Do they do something else instead?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-21 14:23
Hi Jamie. Logically you're right - when that option is checked, Skype should pop-up a notification from the system tray, alerting the user for a new IM. But in practice it doesn't. There isn't any noticeable visual alert for a new IM, as far as I could test (even when Skype is in the "single window mode" view). When Skype is in the "multi-window mode" view (or however it is called now in english - I can't remember), the window for the respective conversation with new messages pops up in the taskbar (and actually somehow steals the focus, even though it visually appears in the background and not in the foreground). I think the Skype icon in the system tray visually changes somehow to indicate new events, but I can't tell for sure, because I can't see it well enough.

BTW: I think the missing tray alerts for new chat messages is a bug in Skype, witch appeared in some version of Skype 6. Before that it was working OK, as far as I remember (I wasn't using it because NVDA can't read those tray alerts from Skype).

And am I to understand that we may in the future see NVDA read those Skype tray notifications (like for contacts coming online)? That would be very nice!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2014-12-22 00:22
Replying to k_kolev1985:

There isn't any noticeable visual alert for a new IM, as far as I could test (even when Skype is in the "single window mode" view). ...

I think the missing tray alerts for new chat messages is a bug in Skype, witch appeared in some version of Skype 6. Before that it was working OK, as far as I remember

Okay. In that case, I'll close this as wontfix for now, since even sighted users don't get notified.

And am I to understand that we may in the future see NVDA read those Skype tray notifications (like for contacts coming online)? That would be very nice!

Yes.
Changes:
Added labels: cantfix
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug close/cantfix
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants