Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Excel: there is no way one can find out about the cell shading. #3683

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 2, 2013 · 8 comments
Closed
Assignees
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by sumandogra on 2013-12-02 13:33

There is no way one can find out about the cell shading in an Excel sheet. Sometimes it is important to find out about the Excel shading due to some preconditions/conditions made available to help read and analyze the data on an Excel sheet.
Suggestion is to make either a keystroke available or a setting to read cell shading.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by manshulvbelani on 2015-08-28 08:55
The correct cell shading information in case of conditional formatting applied to the cell has been added to textInfo for excel versions 2010 and above. Also if gradient fill is applied to cell, then both the gradient colors are reported. The new code is available in branch in_t3683_new1 at url :
[https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda]

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by manshulvbelani on 2015-09-29 10:34
Merged branch t4878 with in_t3683_new1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2015-10-05 23:36
backgroundPatternLabels dictionary values in excel.py should be translatable, including suitable comments for each describing what the pattern means, or at least referring to an MSDN article.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by manshulvbelani on 2015-10-08 05:02
Added localization and description to background pattern labels in branch in_t3683_new1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2015-10-08 05:43
Thanks for providing the translator comments.
Two more things:

1. You are fetching displayFormat twice in _getFormatFieldAndOffsets:
cellObj=self.obj.excelCellObject.DisplayFormat
fontObj=self.obj.excelCellObject.DisplayFormat.font

Instead, you can use cellObj:

fontObj=cellObj.font
  1. Although you fetch the background pattern and use it to choose if two colors should be reported, Speech never reports the actual background pattern to the user. At least, I can't find that code...
    Therefore, if you are only fetching the pattern just to choose if two colors should be reported, then I guess the pattern labels are not needed at all. And the comparison should just be made with the excel constants themselves.
    I think though personally it would be good to expose the background pattern via report formatting, as a sighted user can see it, and you've spent the time adding those translator comments.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by manshulvbelani on 2015-10-08 06:24
Actually I added them for the same reason. Since there is a ticket for such an issue. In issue 3583, it is required to report the patterns with some other formatting information.So should I add reporting of background patterns in this issue or as a part of issue 3583.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by manshulvbelani on 2015-10-14 05:39
Added code to report background pattern along with other formatting information.The new code is available in branch in_t3683_new1 at url :
[​https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda]
There is just one doubt I have. While reporting pattern while navigating, NVDA speaks nothing when No Pattern is applied to cell. Also when the pattern is same as the previous cell, NVDA will not speak the pattern. Will this not be confusing for the user?

jcsteh pushed a commit that referenced this issue Feb 19, 2016
…now reported. Automatic reporting is controlled by the Report colors option in NVDA's Document Formatting preferences.

Fixes #3683.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Incubated in f3dfee5.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants