Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

portable version of NVDA does not report newly focused unless the previously focused object has been completely reported on system protection dialog box in windows 7 #3728

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 18, 2013 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aslani.ali on 2013-12-18 22:24
while on system protection dialog in windows 7 with portable version of NVDA, i cannot hear the newly focused object till the previous report operation is completely done.
also when i press the control key on keyboard to stop speech, it does not function in this case.
this shows that maybe global and portable access to api(s) or functions to handle this issue is not available for NVDA; because in installed version, i have not been encountered with this problem.
but it is possible to handle this issue whereas handling keypress event in portable run of application in such dialogs is possible.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-12-18 22:57
If you mean UAC dialogs or apps running as administrator, it is simply not possible to access these using a portable screen reader due to Windows security restrictions.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aslani.ali (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-12-19 06:23
1- the user account control dialog in windows 7 or later differs with system protection dialog. although the system protection dialog requires administrative operating system access to apply its changes, but the interaction with this dialog does not require administrative privileges. only keypress return on NVDA does not work because the only error is that you cannot be aware of focus change event unless current report is finished on NVDA. but when you change the focus after the current report is finished, you can be aware of the newly focused object correctly.
2- this error occured when i installed a fresh coppy of windows 7 Ultimate edition and UAC was on 100% and i ran a portable coppy of 2013.3 and also when i turned off the UAC and came back to NVDA run of the mentioned version, this error occured again with described problem.
3- what can we do? if tested and occured in other coppies of win7 even if i tested on several coppies of windows 7:
3.a- NVDA should be tested if receives keypress event on that dialog.
3.b- if receives, why it does not stop speech while pressing ctrl key?
3.c- if administrative access is required to solve this problem, can we request internally by specified API(s) from windows to present UAC prompt and give these required access to portable coppy temporarily?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-12-19 06:45
NVDA can't access keys and certain APIs for apps running as administrator unless it is installed due to Windows security restrictions. You can work around this by running NVDA as administrator, but this obviously has security implications.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Could you please clarify if your #3728 (comment) implies that this ticket should be closed as a cantfix?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 15, 2017

Yes, this can't be fixed.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants