Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should not split a linke into several links inside a virtual buffer when that links contains formatting tags #374

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

nvaccessAuto commented Jan 1, 2010

Reported by vtsaran on 2009-07-26 17:11
NVDA tends to split a link into multiple links inside the virtual buffer when that link contains formatting tags such as <p> or <br>.
A good test case can be found on the new yahoo.com front page on links such as "add favorites" or "edit favorites". In this particular case, NVDA presents any one of them as three links instead of one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-07-26 22:01
First of all, it is not being split into three links. It is a link which crosses three lines. However, because most links don't cross lines, NVDA doesn't say "out of link" to avoid annoyance. Therefore, it needs to say "link" at the start of every line encompassed by the link so you know you are still within a link. If you use quick navigation or links list, you will see it is the same link.

Second, NVDA always tries to represent the formatting on the page. If the author intended a link to cross three lines by inserting paragraph or line break tags, then NVDA will represent it that way. Once we're within a link, we render its content like we render any other content. If we start making an exception for link content, what else should we start making exceptions for?
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2009-07-26 22:02
Bah, wrong button.
Changes:
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by vtsaran (in reply to comment 2) on 2009-08-30 22:23
No reason to be so harsh! We're all trying to help!!!
I did not state the problem correctly by saying that NVDA splits the link into three. Instead, I should have said that links in question look to the user as three separate ones because NVDA does not indicate where the first link ends and the second one starts.
Just a suggestion, but perhaps NVDA could indicate the end of the link by saying "end of link" on the last chunk rather than prepending every chunk with the word "link"?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2009-08-30 22:36
Replying to vtsaran:

No reason to be so harsh! We're all trying to help!!!

Sorry. I was trying to be emphatic as to not wanting to make special exceptions, but not intending to be harsh.

I did not state the problem correctly by saying that NVDA splits the link into three. Instead, I should have said that links in question look to the user as three separate ones because NVDA does not indicate where the first link ends and the second one starts.

Understood.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps NVDA could indicate the end of the link by saying "end of link" on the last chunk rather than prepending every chunk with the word "link"?

I'll need to think on this. I assume you would only want this for multi-line links and that you want to hear "out of link" (or whatever) after the last chunk? Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can manage this with the current implementation.

@jmuheim
Copy link

jmuheim commented Nov 26, 2015

I have tried to create a good example of the problem, or better: a good solution. But didn't really succeed.

http://codepen.io/jmuheim/pen/xwBEjP

I added a duplicate to this issue here: #5541

Would be great to receive some feedback.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@vtsaran, @jmuheim is this issue still reproducible?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Ok now I understand this issue and what is requested here. In my view this could be indicated with a sound which would apply only for multiline links. But however, I think when a link is on multiple lines, in most cases it is a contextual structure. The link is either a long sentence or a whole paragraph of text. The user would understand logically that the whole text is wrapped into a link only by reading the text itself. Could someone give an example where an user would get confused if a link is on multiple lines? Every example I can find is clear and the context already suggests that a link must be on multiple lines.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants