Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not read the file transfer information in Skype #3761

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 8, 2014 · 7 comments
Closed

NVDA does not read the file transfer information in Skype #3761

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 8, 2014 · 7 comments
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-01-08 18:51
In newer versions of Skype (from 4.0 and above), the file transfers and their related information is displayed as chat message entries in the conversation window. I don't know about before, but now the information in those entries is exposed in an accessible for NVDA way. The problem however is the fact that the name of the file, the remaining time, the progress bar and the "Cancel" button are exposed as child objects to the main entry for the file transfer entry (object) and NVDA seams not to automatically parse those children objects. Therefore, NVDA does not announce those child objects when the system (keyboard) focus lands on the parent object for the file transfer in the chat conversation list (the chat messages list). Can't something be done within NVDA, in order to improve the experience while working with file transfers in Skype?

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open Skype.
  2. Start a conversation (chat) with someone and initiate a file transfer with the person (it doesn't matter if the file transfer is incoming or outgoing).
  3. With Shift+TAB and then with the arrow keys, move the system (keyboard) focus to the current file transfer entry in the list of chat messages. NVDA will report only the file name, the name of the sender and the date and time of sending (if I'm not mistaking).
  4. While the system (keyboard) focus is on the file transfer entry, if the object navigation cursor is not on the focused object, move it to it.
  5. Press NVDA+NumPad2 to go in the children object hierarchy of the file transfer entry (object).
  6. Then with NVDA+NumPad4 and NVDA+NumPad6 explore the objects inside. You'll find that the file name, the remaining time, the progress bar and the "Cancel" button are seperate objects in that level of the hierarchy and NVDA then reads them fine.

Expected results: When the system (keyboard) focus is placed on the file transfer entry in the chat messages list, NVDA should read not only the information for that entry specifically placed there for the screen readers, but the children objects in that entry (object) as well, in order to provide more information about the file transfer in question.

Actual results: NVDA reads only the information in that file transfer entry, placed specifically there for the screen readers.

Notes:

1. Although the progress bar is present in the children level of the hierarchy for the file transfer entry (object), it doesn't seam to provide percentage indication for the file transfer.
  2. There needs to be done something in colaboration with Skype, in order to improve even more the experience with file transfers in Skype. Because now, there is even more useful information shown for an ongoing file transfer, but it is displayed in a tooltip when the mouse cursor hovers over the icon of the transfering file entry and it is not directly accessible for screen readers. Even if the user manages to point the mouse cursor on that icon, the tooltip displayed is not read by NVDA (a ticket for the unreadable tooltips in some applications like Skype is already filed by me in this tracker - see ticket NVDA does not read tooltips in some applications #3314).
  3. In this ticket I'm refering only to the file transfer entries (objects) with such behavior, but this may affect other similar objects in Skype - I just haven't noticed it yet).

My configuration:

1. Skype version: 6.11.0.102.
  2. NVDA version: latest main snapshot, but the result is the same with the stable 2013.3 as well.
  3. OS: Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1, 32-bit.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-01-08 20:52
I'm not sure I follow why using object navigation to get this info is a problem. Skype have obviously decided that the information communicated by the list item itself is enough for screen reader users in most cases. I do agree that it's odd that the remaining time is missing, but the only other items are the progress bar and the cancel button. You've already pointed out that the progress bar doesn't communicate anything useful (which very likely needs to be fixed in Skype) and the cancel button isn't useful when reporting the item. Can you explain further as to why you think this is necessary?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-01-08 21:25
I'm suggesting for NVDA to automatically read those children objects, because most novice users of NVDA are not familiar with using object navigation and have difficulty understanding how it works. I do understand how object navigation works, but I classify myself as an advanced user and have studied informatics and programming and that helps a lot to understand object navigation in NVDA. Most novice users don't and can't understand it. In time at least some of them begin to understand it, but it is not easy for them. Screen review is a good alternative to object navigation, but it main disadvantage is that it only shows text really displayed on the screen, witch in some cases (incl. the file transfer entries in Skype) may not be the best solution due to text strings being cut off due to lack of space to fit them whole. Hope you can understand what I mean about the text being cut off.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-01-08 22:53
This particular case of object navigation is pretty simple. The item happens to contain other information. There are examples in the User Guide about how it works. For what it's worth, VoiceOver users on the Mac must also use object navigation (e.g. interacting with elements) and they cope just fine.

As I understand it, the only piece of information you're missing (that Skype exposes) is the remaining time. Is that correct? Surely you agree that reporting the cancel button and the broken progress bar isn't useful.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-01-09 08:12
Jamie, I know all that, but if NVDA reads that useful information directly (without the need for additional actions from the user), that will be a facilitation for the user himself. But I do agree that in this particular case, only the remaining time (from all available information in the children structure) should be announced - we don't need the hear the broken progress bar or the "Cancel" button.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985 is this still the case with newest skype versions?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@Adriani90 Well, I think it is for Skype 7, but that version is going away at some point in the near future in favor of Skype 8 and newer.

I haven't tested file transfer in Skype 8 recently, since I rarely use Skype's file transfer functionality nowadays. But if there some issues with it, I suggest for them to be filed in other tickets.

I think this ticket should be closed, since there is no sense to work on improvements for a version of a program that is probably going away at some point in the near future.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 15, 2018

I will take your suggestion @k-kolev1985 and close this issue. If there are issues with the newer version of Skype, please open a new issue. Closing

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Dec 15, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants