Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Make Total Commander 64 announce the left and right panes #3791

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 19, 2014 · 23 comments
Open

Make Total Commander 64 announce the left and right panes #3791

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 19, 2014 · 23 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by MarcoZehe on 2014-01-19 08:40
The 64-bit version of Total Commander has a changed window structure, so simply applying the AppModule for the 32 bit version is not sufficient. For one, the window class to check for to load the custom class has changed, and second the logic to determine the left and right panes needed to be swapped. I decided to create a full separate app module, based on the 32 bit version's, and keep the logic separated for these two versions so other inconsistencies can be dealt with without ugly 32/64 bit version check hacks in that one script file. Pull request to follow.
Blocking #3950

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by MarcoZehe on 2014-01-19 09:00
Created a pull request.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-02-13 00:37
Thanks for the patch!

While there are very clear differences between the 32 and 64 bit versions, the code is still the same for the most part. I'd prefer to see this managed in an object oriented way. For example, the TCList window class names could be an attribute of the AppModule class that gets overridden in totalcmd64 when it subclasses. As for the left and right pane swapping, that could be a bool class variable or perhaps the counter value.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-03-05 11:05
I have updated code from Marco which implements the changes i suggested in comment:3, but I need to implement a fix related to chooseNVDAObjectOverlayClasses before it will work correctly.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-03-09 22:42
In [beb10e9]:

Merge branch 't3791' into next

Incubates #3791.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-03-24 16:20
I don't know if the changes made here are related or not, but with the 64-bit version of Total Commander 8.50 on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 and the latest NVDA snapshot, NVDA announces both the left and the right panes of Total Commander as "right". And although not always, NVDA starts misreading the names of the menus in the menubar, but this is fixed (at least temporarily) by a restart of NVDA. If I run the 32-bit version of Total Commander 8.50 under the same conditions, the panes are announced correctly. Note: I could run a 32 or a 64-bit version of Total Commander, because I have the combined 32/64-bit installer for it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2014-04-02 05:45
So, is everyone experiencing comment:9 or is it somehow specific to that system? Marco, are you able to test with a temporary/portable copy of the latest next snapshot?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by MarcoZehe on 2014-04-06 07:44
The current Next snapshot as of April 2nd works fine with both the version 8.01 X64 of Total Commander that I had installed initially, as well as the new release 8.50. No problems on this end...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-04-26 10:37
So, it's probably something on my end, but at least for now I haven't figured out what. It's probably something with Total Commander and its configuration. Interestingly enough, if I have a FTP folder opened in the left pane, it is announced correctly by NVDA as a left pane, rather than as a right one as it does otherwise.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2014-04-28 03:48
@erion, can you confirm whether the fix currently in "next" snapshots works for you?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-07-27 17:34
I think I've found the cause why NVDA does not announce correctly the panes in Total Commander x64 as left and right and announces them both as right. It is one of the settings in Total Commander itself. The setting is called "Show button bar" and it is located in menu -> Configuration -> Options -> Layout. Since I don't use the button bar, I disable it. But when it is disabled, NVDA incorrectly announces both panes of Total Commander x64 as right, instead correctly as left and right. As a temporary solution, I've enabled again the "Show button bar" option.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh on 2014-07-28 05:07
That suggests the current code is relying on the fact that this button bar is visible. The code would need to be tweaked to account for this if possible. Marco, are you able to take a look at this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by MarcoZehe on 2014-07-28 05:29
Unfortunately with me just having returned from vacation, and a trip close by, I don't see if and when I'll get to this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-08-21 09:56
Another bug with the detection of the left/right panels of Total Commander. If an FTP connection is made in one of the panels and the "Show button bar" option is enabled, NVDA "swaps" the 2 panels and labels the left panel as right and the right as left. If the button bar is disabled and an FTP connection is made, the panels are correctly labeled. It doesn't matter in witch of the 2 panels is the FTP connection made.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 18 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-03 04:13
In [06ddba0]:

Revert t3791: Total Commander 64 left and right panes.

This work is incomplete and has been abandoned, at least for now.
This reverts commits 901c7092^..56544598.
Re #3791.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 19 by jteh on 2014-12-03 04:14
This is incomplete and no one is willing to work on it for now, so I've backed it out of next. Anyone is welcome to take up work on this.
Changes:
Removed labels: incubating

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@MarcoZehe Do you think this is something you might be able to look at and subsequently work on in the future, or is Total Commander no longer significantly relevant to you? It may be worth noting that the latest stable release of Total Commander for 32+64 bit Windows took place about nine months ago.

@MarcoZehe
Copy link
Contributor

MarcoZehe commented Sep 16, 2017 via email

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Sep 16, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Novalis7747 Do you still have in mind to raise the Pull Request for Total Commander? I don't recall if you did it already.

@Novalis7747
Copy link

Novalis7747 commented Dec 14, 2018 via email

@tspivey
Copy link
Collaborator

tspivey commented Dec 14, 2018

Someone who uses this could just ask the author of Total Commander to use Dynamic Annotation to name the lists.

@Novalis7747
Copy link

Novalis7747 commented Dec 14, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@tspivey, @Novalis7747, @k-kolev1985 are you still having this issue with add-ons disabled in NVDA 2023.3 and Total commander 64 version 11.02 which has recently been released?

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants