Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When a table's caption is positioned absolutely, NVDA incorrectly counts an extra row #3813

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 24, 2014 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

nvaccessAuto commented Jan 24, 2014

Reported by hhillen on 2014-01-24 11:46
When a table has a caption element that is styled with position:absolute, NVDA will treat it as a row when calculating the total number of rows in the table. A common use case for using absolute positioning is when the caption should be hidden visually but not from assistive technology.

I have attached a test case that illustrates this. The page contains two tables with identical content, except that in the second table the caption text is hidden off screen using CSS. When pressing the T key twice, NVDA will correctly announce 4 rows for the first table and incorrectly 5 rows for the second table.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment testcase_absolutly_positioned_caption.html added by hhillen on 2014-01-24 11:47
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-01-30 23:40
We get the row count from Firefox and it's reporting an extra row. My guess is that it has specific code to exclude the caption from the row count, but when the caption is off-screen, the caption element seems to disappear from a11y and only the text node inside it remains.

Would you mind filing a Mozilla bug? If you cc me (:jamie), I can provide more specific API details.

@vimalans
Copy link

vimalans commented Sep 1, 2016

Is there any update on this issue? I encountered this problem today with FF and NVDA. Is there a Mozilla or NVDA bug that I can watch?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 1, 2016

As far as I know, a Mozilla bug was never filed for this. Feel free to do so and cc me as explained above.

@luisluix
Copy link

luisluix commented May 3, 2018

its may 2018, are there any updates for this?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented May 3, 2018

Actually, there is a Mozilla bug for this: bug 995888.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I have edited the description and updated the link so it works again. The issue is still reproducible in NVDA 2019.1.1 only on Firefox. Testing in Firefox 66.0.5. Chrome and IE work as expected.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot reproduce this in Firefox 110.0.1 with NVDA last alpha. @jcsteh maybe it is worthy for bugzilla. I have accessibility cache enabled.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Mar 9, 2023

It is fixed with the cache enabled. However, it is not fixed (and will not be fixed) with the cache disabled. The cache is still not enabled by default on release, though it hopefully will be in the next month or two.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 9, 2023

Now that the cache is enabled for all users, this is fixed in Firefox.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Jun 9, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants