Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA doesn't notice all focus changes happening in Visual Studio 2013 #3818

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 27, 2014 · 7 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by MarcoZehe on 2014-01-27 05:21
Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Visual Studio 2013.
  2. Choose New Project, and in the templates, choose new XAML C# application.
    3.Go to Project Explorer and find the Mainpage.xaml file.
  3. Press Control+W, then x to go to the toolbox to add an UI element.

First result: Ctrl+W does not give any feedback.

1. Choose any element, for example a Textbox, and press Enter to add it to the UI.
  2. Return to the UI designer with Shift+F7.

Second result: The fact that we're now in the designer does not get spoken.

1. Press Tab until you focus the textbox.
  2. Press Alt+Enter for properties.

Expected: NVDA should announce that focus moved into the properties window. JAWS does this.
Actual: Only after you press Tab to force a focus change inside the newly focused Properties window will NVDA announce focus changes.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-01-27 07:49
This looks similar to #3030. I can't test this at present. I hope it can be reproduced with the express edition, as we don't have access to anything else at this stage.

I suspect a broken UIA implementation. If something doesn't report as being focusable, the UIA client API doesn't seem to allow focus events for it. We've seen this before. Can you test with Narrator to see if it has the same issue?

If I'm right, one option might be to blacklist the offending controls for UIA so we fall back to MSAA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by MarcoZehe (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-01-27 08:39
Replying to jteh:

This looks similar to #3030. I can't test this at present. I hope it can be reproduced with the express edition, as we don't have access to anything else at this stage.

Yes it can. :) That's what I am using. I will test with Narrator later and report back here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-01-31 01:50
I just realised NVDA does sometimes receive focus events for elements that report they don't have the keyboard focus, but we block this. If this is the case here, we can perhaps hack around this without disabling UIA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by MarcoZehe on 2014-01-31 04:36
Hi Jamie,

Narrator also doesn't notice the focus change.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@MarcoZehe, is this still of relevance to you?

@MarcoZehe
Copy link
Contributor

MarcoZehe commented Feb 14, 2018 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Feb 18, 2018

Closing, as this is no longer of relevance to the original author. If this is still an issue for someone in VS 2017, we can reopen this issue or a new issue can be created.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Feb 18, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants