Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Lingobit Localizer translation strings are not accessible with NVDA, it is non standard control of UI of The Lingobit Localizer #3887

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 15, 2014 · 7 comments
Assignees
Labels
app-specific blocked/needs-external-fix component/display-model enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by janusz on 2014-02-15 18:37
Dear developers of NVDA excellent screen reader.
I have found out, that NVDA can not speak The string inside open project when user want to translate some supported files by using Lingobit Localizer. This tool is supporting translation of .html, .cpp sources and other modules, including Net framework binaries such as .dll and .exe. But unfortunately thanks to The non standard GUI of this program, user can not navigate inside The translation strings. It seems to me, that UI of this program is using Microsoft Trident rendering engine and there is also a non standard class name for object which is being used for displaying The translatable strings.
The direct download link of Lingobit Localizer is

http://www.lingobit.com/localizer.exe
The non standard class name which is very probably causing issues is

MFCGridCtrl
Do You think, that You would try to add support for this class name? May be, that problem is caused by other issue. Please keep on mind, that this tool is perfect opportunity for blind translators, it is not my personal toy i would like to enable other visually impaired translators to use this tool in productive environment.
Thank You very much for Yours help and discussion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-02-16 01:54
Have you considered requesting that the developers of this application improve its accessibility? That way, it will be accessible for the greatest possible number of users and it's likely to be more reliable.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by janusz (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-02-16 10:10
Replying to jteh:

Have you considered requesting that the developers of this application improve its accessibility? That way, it will be accessible for the greatest possible number of users and it's likely to be more reliable.

Dear Mr Tech,
I have used their support form and I have pleased them to fix this bug. But because my knowledge of MSAA and Windows core is not so good like Yours is, what do You think, if You would plea them Yourself? Yours deep knowledge of The operating system is The guarantee of good results.
The GUI of this app is containing one WEB page based on Windows Internet Explorer which is informing users how to translate Net framework based .exe programs, there are also other tips. And there is some navigation list with translation strings. The issue is, if The list assigned by non standard class name can be accessed by available programmers technique in Windows.
Thank You very much for Yours patience, i know, that You have many other NVDA based work, but if it would be atleast alittle possible to look at this non standard GUI, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have very positive experience with NVDA development team, You have always implemented my suggestions and i Am deeply appreciating it, because even commercial companies who are developing expensive screen readers do not implement The pleas from one user.
But my pleas are always constructive, detecting background and foreground colours in Excel tables, support dynamic WEB pages ETC.
I know, that it would be much more better, if companies would develop accessible programs for us, but we do not live in ideal world and if i do not work for big company such as IBM or other, which would theoretically use Lingo bit localizer, my chances are very low, that developers of this program will recompile and redesign their program.
This application can be even used for translating WEB pages, C++ sources, i know, that only expensive enterprise release can do this, but it is possible.
I do not know about opensource or free alternative application which would support The translation of so many files and binaries. And if there is somethink, it would contain also some accessibility based issue.
So thank You very much for Yours patience with Me.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Janusz are you still having this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @LeonarddeR

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am testing with NVDA 2019.1.1 and Lingobit 9.0. The application seems to be quite inaccessible. Apart from some dialogs the interface is not really usable with NVDA. Is it possible to implement the class referenced in the description to make it somehow accessible? There are many companies and independent translators using this software professionally, especially in Germany.
cc: @feerrenrut, @michaelDCurran

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

The bast pathway forward is to contact the developers of Lingobit, we would be happy to work with them to try to improve the accessibility of their software.

@LeonarddeR LeonarddeR added blocked/needs-external-fix p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority labels Oct 3, 2019
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@feerrenrut they have a really bad support, actually even their contact form does not work and they update the software every 4 year or so, if at all.
So I think supporting this software via display model would be a good idea here because we do not expect many updates in short time intervals.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app-specific blocked/needs-external-fix component/display-model enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants