Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add-ons Manager: ability to view add-on documentation from an add-on's About dialog #3917

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 22, 2014 · 6 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/duplicate enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nvdakor on 2014-02-22 11:22
Hi,
Spin-off from #2694:
Since a number of users are concerned about add-on's documentation handler being listed as global plugins for add-ons (which has performance issues) and to provide uniformity in add-on management and documentation lookup, it would be helpful to create a facility to open add-on documentation via Add-ons Manager. The proposed procedure would be as follows:

1. User would open Add-ons Manager and select the add-on for which he or she wants to read its documentation.
  2. User would select About button to open About dialog for the add-on.
  3. There would be a button titled "Read more..." or similar which opens the add-on documentation, similar to how it is done now (an add-on adding documentation item in help submenu in NVDA menu).

In the addonHandler module, we could add a method and some variables to indicate if the documentation exists for an add-on, among other variables to lay the foundation for further add-on management improvements (separate tickets for features such as add-on updates).
Thanks.

Blocked by #2694

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-02-22 11:34
In #2694, I wasn't suggesting we don't add them to the Help menu. This can still be done without using a global plugin; e.g. by calling a function within an app module. Using the Help menu is more consistent with the way you access other NVDA documentation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by norrumar on 2014-02-22 12:16
Imo, using add-ons manager have an advantage: they would not be the same shortcut for different add-ons. When it occurs, the add-on documentation can't be open by pressing for instance the initial character of its summary.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ateu (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-02-22 12:21
Replying to jteh:

In #2694, I wasn't suggesting we don't add them to the Help menu. This can still be done without using a global plugin; e.g. by calling a function within an app module. Using the Help menu is more consistent with the way you access other NVDA documentation.

@jteh, this would be a good solution, but in my opinion there is a potential problem.
If an user has installed several add-ons, the Help Menu will become so larger, since will be have the original help menu items and the menu items from the add-ons.

For this reason,I suggest a sub-menu in the Help Menu, which can be called add-ons documentation, where the user will find the documentation for all add-ons.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-02-22 12:56
The problem I have with splitting add-ons into their own menu is that it separates add-ons from the rest of NVDA's interface, which isn't ideal. They should integrate right into NVDA as if they were almost part of the core. That said, NVDA's documentation all appears in one file, whereas add-ons can't, which does make this integration ugly.

At this point, I'm leaning more towards what was originally proposed here: doing it in the about add-on dialog. It's just a matter of how to implement it flexibly. Not everyone wants to write their documentation in the same format, some might have multiple documentation files, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ateu on 2014-02-22 13:50
Ok, but I think creating a sub menu doesn't means to separate the add-ons from the program, but just placing in a specific option.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-05-26 03:44
I'm going to merge this into #2694 and broaden the scope of that ticket, as it seems that there is high demand for a totally unified documentation solution, not just localisation.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/duplicate enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants